Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Time Capsule Worth it

Options
  • 05-04-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

Well?

I love Mac products but this looks like an overpriced router and HDD?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

If it's a decent router than it's not that bad. 100 quid for a terabyte drive, 100 for a router and the rest because it's apple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Steve Jobs wins again.

Best looking router I've ever seen, I'll give them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It works really well. I have one running to back up our two MacBook Pros. After initial setup, it's seamless.

I got a refurb and saved myself a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Very handy. USB port is handy too - turns USB printers into WiFi printers, or you can add more storage, or both.

I had a regular NAS before this and had to send it back because it was a nightmare to set up and get working across my network. The time capsule is the definition of simplicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

I'm just back from an "authorised seller" trying to get them to fix my Time Capsule (500GB).

If you Google around a bit you'll find lots and lots of articles on Time Capsules dying after around 18 months due to overheating, which is the case with mine. It's such a known problem that Apple even extended the warranty for a particular batch of serial numbers, although mine isn't included...

It was a great product while it lasted and worked very well... but for such an expensive product to die after 18 months and seemingly no possibility for an exchange, I won't buy another one.

I'm in Germany so have been dealing with German Apple support but would like to have a shot with the Irish support too... does anyone know of any phone number other than the 1850 946 191 number? I can't seem to get through to it from my phone...

Edit: here's the Support thread.. 76 pages of unhappy people so far: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2129872&tstart=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    I'm just back from an "authorised seller" trying to get them to fix my Time Capsule (500GB).

If you Google around a bit you'll find lots and lots of articles on Time Capsules dying after around 18 months due to overheating, which is the case with mine. It's such a known problem that Apple even extended the warranty for a particular batch of serial numbers, although mine isn't included...

It was a great product while it lasted and worked very well... but for such an expensive product to die after 18 months and seemingly no possibility for an exchange, I won't buy another one.

I'm in Germany so have been dealing with German Apple support but would like to have a shot with the Irish support too... does anyone know of any phone number other than the 1850 946 191 number? I can't seem to get through to it from my phone...

I bought my original one in Japan, and around 2 years later, the power supply packed in (as was the common fault). I was living in Germany at the time, and took it down to the local Apple Store and they swapped it out over the counter no problem. Didn't have a receipt, warranty card or anything, but they just checked the serial number and swapped it out.

You might get better look in an official Apple Retail Store...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Aside from simplicity of set-up, it allows a 5GHz 802.11n network for fast networking for Macs/PCs (in online speed tests, mine is over 95% as fast as Ethernet), while also providing a 2.4 GHz 802.11g network to provide compatibility for iOS devices and older PCs, in addition to providing a separate guest network for visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I'm on my second one.
    The original, which was a steep learning curve for me, fried, along with many others after 18 months. Apparently despite all the razmatazz, the electronics were total c***, Japanese transistor radio level!
    The second one has passed the dreaded 18 month mark and hasn't given me any grief.
    It heats up a bit more than I care for, No on/off switch which means it backs up a whole lot more than necessary.
    It synchs very nicely with my iPod, which is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

I bought my original one in Japan, and around 2 years later, the power supply packed in (as was the common fault). I was living in Germany at the time, and took it down to the local Apple Store and they swapped it out over the counter no problem. Didn't have a receipt, warranty card or anything, but they just checked the serial number and swapped it out.

You might get better look in an official Apple Retail Store...

I'll try and get up there and see what they say. My serial number is outside of the batch that they mention in their Apple support docs though, so I'm not sure if they'll help me out either.

Advertisement