Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure what to do...

Options
  • 05-04-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for advice really. I have been working in the same place for about 10 years, in production department for most of that, was asked to do office work about 18 months ago, answering phones, filing, etc which I was lead to believe would be a permanent position. today they have asked me to go back to working in production because they are so busy.

If I don't then they will basically have to let me go but I won't get redundancy as they have offered me work.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I suppose I wasn't very clear with what advice I needed!

I'm just wondering if I refuse to go back into the production dept, can they just get rid of me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Either you want to stay working or you don't. you can either:- Put up, shut up, get another job or become unemployed with no JSB for a period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

moon_loopy wrote: »
    I suppose I wasn't very clear with what advice I needed!

I'm just wondering if I refuse to go back into the production dept, can they just get rid of me?

Yes, as you would be refusing to go back to your original post once they didnt need you in the office anymore .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

IS there a problem with working in the production Dept?

If I were you, I'd be saying "no problem" to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It sounds like a tough one.
    Alternative work

As with any dismissal, an employer must act reasonably when dismissing an employee in a redundancy situation. This requires prior consultation with you before the decision is made. In addition, your employer should consider all options including possible alternatives.

If your employer makes you a reasonable offer of alternative work, and you refuse it, you may lose your entitlement to a redundancy payment. Generally speaking, alternatives which involve a loss of status or worsening of the terms and conditions of your employment would not be considered reasonable. Similarly, you may be justified in refusing an offer that involves you travelling an unreasonable distance to work.

What's a "reasonable" offer? It's not really defined. If you had never worked in production, and were being asked to move from a clerical role, I think you would be entitled to say that it's not inline at all with what you've been done before.

However, given that you have worked there before, it could be considered reasonable (to me anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As far as my uneducated opinion goes, you've been in the same position for the last 18 months and although (I assume) you haven't physically signed a new contract to coincide with that, I think the fact that you've been in this position for such a length of time means that your employer would need your permission to change your working conditions again and would have to offer redundancy if you refuse.

But I stress, I am by no means certain about that and could very well be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

As a previous poster mentioned the fact that you came from production in the first place it would be logical for you to take the position.
    They have offered you alternative work and a good argument could be made that it's a reasonable offer based on your history..

Rather than sinking in your heels could you bargain that if you help them out for X time you can return to the duties you'd prefer..

I'd say if push comes to shove you'll be presented with a letter requesting you take up your new position with X days or your employment will be terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hang on here: you say they've asked you to go back to production 'cos they're so busy - not 'cos they've run out of office work!

Have a chat to the boss about how the office work fits with your career aspirations etc. See if there's any potential to agree to go back for a while to help out, and then to move to bigger and better things once the busy bit is over.

And don't, for goodness sakes, go trying to get yourself laid off when you have a job!!!! It's not like there are dozens of other jobs out there just waiting for you to become free to take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't really have any choice, they didn't give me a contract when they moved me into the office. They're saying costs have gone up and production has gone down and they can't afford to be paying me to do just office work. I guess my only problem is that I hated working in production and was about ready to leave when they moved me into the office. I now feel like all I can do is take the position in production and start looking for a different job. And they won't hire new people as they need experienced people.

Thanks for the advice anyway folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 giz_a_job

You have a job - try to keep it !

You cant ask they keep that admin job for you, business needs change all the time, and employers must move with it.
    Your admin position is gone, be VERY thankful you have a job to fall back on there.

If you dont want production job, then leave with nothing.
    Give the job that you dont want, to someone else who does want it.
    Go on the dole, and complain about lack of jobs in Ireland (oh wait, you had a job right ????)

PS - if you leave can you PM me the company, I'll do it !

• Advertisement
Advertisement