Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dspca Vet clinic

Options
  • 05-04-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

One of my hounds has taken a serious dislike to his vet, So much so that the vet is not properly examining him.

So its time to change vets.

As both dogs are from the Dspca I was thing of using their new clinic.
    Has anyone any experiance of them or an idea of cost's for the likes of vac boosters etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IreneCleary

I have my cat and dog as new clients of the DSPCA vets and I am highly impressed with the place, it is a sparkling new building, very handy to get to, just over 5 mins from firhouse exit of the M50. I met Fionnuala and Collette who are two of the vets working there and they were lovely, really friendly and helpful and my two thought they were great too, they were very gentle with them when they were getting their checkups and had lots of great advice for me as well. They are reasonably priced, the same as my old vet in the Dun Laoghaire borough so all good news there too :-) One thing I really love is their 24 hour 7 days a week emergency service is onsite in their clinic so all their records are available to the vet that is treating them and it is the same vets so I am not talking to complete strangers as what happened the last time my cat got sick on a Saturday evening and had to go to UCD, I dealt with 3 vets during my cats overnight stay and then had to go to my own vets on the monday, talk about it with my vet and fork out more money again!!! I love the fact that the profits go back to the animal rescue charity, I love earning those extra karma points with no extra effort on my part in this case :-) I would recommend this vets to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Thanks Irene,
    Might call up and have a chat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a very nice place, lovely atmosphere. I've found vet clinics in the past are often set out more like a car dealership, whereas the reception area in this place looks more like a doctor's surgery.
    I've also found that in many other vet clinics the receptionist is specifically isolated from the animals, whereas here they have a low desk and anyone working on the reception is always happy to chat to your animals. Though maybe that's just the clinics I've seen so far.

Afaik, any treatments which the DSPCA themselves do as "standard" such as spaying, microchips, boosters, etc, the clinic charges at DSPCA rates. I could be wrong though, you'd need to ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IreneCleary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrbright

I checked out the DSPCA vets but they were much more expensive than my vets in Tallaght.

Also I aksed them about their 24 hour service and they don't have a vet in the clinic through out the night so it might not be ideal if your pet is really sick.

My dog had to go to UCD on a bank holdiay before because he kept having fits- he was there 24 hours - it was worth every penny because they saved his life. I am not sure the DSPCA really have a proper 24 hour service like this. I love the DSPCA they are a great charity, but I will stick with my own vet and maybe donate the difference in price to DSPCA:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

One of my hounds has taken a serious dislike to his vet, So much so that the vet is not properly examining him.

So its time to change vets.

As both dogs are from the Dspca I was thing of using their new clinic.
    Has anyone any experiance of them or an idea of cost's for the likes of vac boosters etc.

I use this vet and find it good mostly because i think vets are very overpriced in general but at least this one the money is going back into the charity and helping animals.
    My cats tooth being extracted cost 194 euro along with scale and polish.
    I don't know how that compares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrbright

That is more expensive than the vet clinic in Tallaght. My dog had a dental last year and I think it cost me about €150 - he had 2 teeth out and a check up afterwards.

It is great that the profits go to charity but I am just surprised how much more expensive they are than everyone else. I suppose the shiny new clinic has to paid for first - like a lot of celtic tiger developments!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've personally found them cheaper than any other vets I've used, maybe you've just managed to find a particularly cheap vet in Tallaght?

It's worth noting that it's not a 24 hour clinic, but there is a qualified Vet on-call 24 hours, which is pretty much the only such service in Dublin. The UCD emergency hospital only has student vets on after hours. I guess it would depend on the scale of the emergency and where you're based. It might be quicker to run over to UCD in some circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

seamus wrote: »
    UCD emergency hospital only has student vets on after hours. .

Actually the after hours clinic (DAEC) is separate to UCD and has it's own fully qualified vet staff, although there are often vet students there to assist and experience out of hours practice, but they are certainly not in charge of the patients. It is at the same building as the UCD vet hospital, but they only use a room or two and don't actually have access to most of the UCD equipment, and the bills, etc, are totally separate as well, unless something has changed in the last year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kitten123

My neighbour's dog had to go to the DSPCA vet clinic after hours as well. He was having terrible fits. The vet there, Colette, was amazing - she actually slept in the clinic and watched him all night. He survived and is doing great. They have a really good on-call service and seem to be able to stay overnight when needed. I think they are brilliant. The bill was really reasonable for the amazing standard of care they gave. I give them the thumbs up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

mrbright wrote: »
    That is more expensive than the vet clinic in Tallaght. My dog had a dental last year and I think it cost me about €150 - he had 2 teeth out and a check up afterwards.

It is great that the profits go to charity but I am just surprised how much more expensive they are than everyone else. I suppose the shiny new clinic has to paid for first - like a lot of celtic tiger developments!

Would you post contact details for that VET? I'm fed up with veterinary charges and need a biopsy for one of the mutts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Giocat

mrbright wrote: »

I registered with the new vet clinic about two months ago with my two cats and my dog. I work as a theatre nurse in a Fublin hospital. I can't rate them highly enough. On my first visit I was given a lovely hot chocolate whilst waiting and a fab tour of the practice. The finish and the equipment all looked amazing. They have a lab, isolation room, dental machine with drill, digital X-ray and an operating theatre that's as well equipped as the one I work at our hospital! The standard of cleanliness and equipment seemed to be top notch. My old vet was lovely but had a small
    Practice and not much equipment. For the standard st the new clinic, I think their prices are great! I booked both of my cats for badly needed dental work and they cost the same as my old vet and they even gave me 10% discount for doing both. I'll definitely by going back; and with all the profits going to the charity; it's even better.

Advertisement