Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where I can find analogue satellite receivers?

Options
  • 05-04-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm looking for analogue satellite receivers for use in an exhibition for my 4th year final show at the national college of art and design.

I'm finding it difficult as they are used less and less and on the brink of obsolescence.

Maybe someone has one in the shed or attic? Knows a satellite enthusiast or installer who happens to have a rake of them?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Best,

David Fagan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Why? They don't look much different to Digital Models. Some Digital Receivers look identical. Both are a box with a few buttons and some have LED channel display and card reader slot. SCART, RCA, F-Connector at rear. Visually no difference

I have some, but need an explanation as to why you want them.

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/mainpage.html

The remaining Analogue channels close next year (3am German Time 30th April 2012). With a good dish, the picture quality is not really distinguishable from a non-HD Digital Receiver.

There is a small demand for Analogue Satellite receivers for 1.2GHz ATV. An LNA is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iamdavidfagan

Hi Watty,

The reason I'm looking for analogue receivers is because of the noise/snow as they're coming in and out of signal. The set up is that I'm building a small hobby shed in the grounds of the college. There's a dish mounted on the shed scanning back and forth and giving a clear signal as it passes and connects with the satellite.

re: There is a small demand for Analogue Satellite receivers for 1.2GHz ATV. An LNA is needed.

I had no idea about that, that's really interesting!

Best,

David

Hi Watty,

The reason I'm looking for analogue receivers is because of the noise/snow as they're coming in and out of signal. The set up is that I'm building a small hobby shed in the grounds of the college. There's a dish mounted on the shed scanning back and forth and giving a clear signal as it passes and connects with the satellite.

re: There is a small demand for Analogue Satellite receivers for 1.2GHz ATV. An LNA is needed.

I had no idea about that, that's really interesting!

Best,

David

All video senders use the same technology/modulation as analogue Satellite and can produce the same effect.

You can do it also with any decent video editing software.

What is the point of what you are doing?

The receivers I have are too modern. you will get black & white "sparkles" very briefly as the dish is very slightly misaligned, then the box either puts a blank screen or a no-signal message depending on model.

Same with TVs. Some will gradually give more "snow" as you rotate a high gain aerial from the transmitter, many will put a blank screen if there is no signal.

TBH I can't see the point of your installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

watty wrote: »
    All video senders use the same technology/modulation as analogue Satellite and can produce the same effect.

You can do it also with any decent video editing software.

What is the point of what you are doing?

The receivers I have are too modern. you will get black & white "sparkles" very briefly as the dish is very slightly misaligned, then the box either puts a blank screen or a no-signal message depending on model.

Same with TVs. Some will gradually give more "snow" as you rotate a high gain aerial from the transmitter, many will put a blank screen if there is no signal.

TBH I can't see the point of your installation.

Its art ya pleb :P:P

• Advertisement

I know what Art is.

There are 4 artists in my family. I have some friends that make a living out of various kinds of Art.

I'm curious as to why the OP thinks it's Art. Maybe there is more to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

And maybe there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Hi watty, sorry to bother you but I need to have a quick chat with you, I see that you post here, can you pm me? its nothing really but i can only think of you as the one that can give me the advise i need.

Thanks.

Sorry for disturbing your thread guys.

Well the work is about hobbiests, (I suppose myself included) perusing a pastime which has had it's hay-day and is shut down next year. It's about obsolescence and nostalgia.

Back to this thread's topic however :)

Any analogue receivers anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I have an old Pace analogue receiver in the garage, not sure of the model, i'll dig it out tomorrow and have a look.

Just noticed there, any one using firefox (not sure about i.e.) open this thread, then click on a new tab and have a look at whats on top of this one :pac:

• Advertisement

Hey that would be great, cheers kbell

Hi Kbell,

I don't have Internet Explorer, but this opens fine for me in Firefox on a Mac.

Best,

David

Hi everyone, thanks for your help earlier this year,
    This is the work I made with the old analogue receivers.

http://vimeo.com/25907974

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

watty wrote: »

On the Pace PRD range you can press "F" then "store" to turn off the blue screen.
    http://www.your-book.co.uk/prd.htm

Advertisement