Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC medicine - Student Selected Option?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Hey, looking at the course structure for UCC undergraduate medicine, what're the student-selected options you get to pick in 1st and 2nd year? :confused: Annoyingly, can't find anything more about them on the internet or in the prospectus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

All information about each year of the course can be found here on the college calender. Then The Book of Modules has details of all modules offered in the College.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

How annoying...Spanish, Italian, French and Irish are in the modules...but no German! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Anyone I know who did Irish regretted it - seemingly the class was of a very high standard, and writing multitudes of Irish essays isn't what you need when you're studying for highly stressful exams. I've heard similar about French.

Science in society is piss and lectures can (and should) be skipped at all times. The only decision you need to make is whether you want to do that now or save it for second year. Make sure you do though, you can't save it for third, and to do well in other modules, the respite offered by an easy module will be very much welcomed.

Seemingly pharmacology is a joke with a dire course structure, huge amounts of notes that aren't broken down, and exams that are very loosely based on said notes, so even if you study you may be unlucky.

I realise you probably don't need to know these things just yet, but it might help someone. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

jumpguy wrote: »
    How annoying...Spanish, Italian, French and Irish are in the modules...but no German! mad.gif

My thoughts exactly going into first year.
    Jeebus wrote: »
    Anyone I know who did Irish regretted it - seemingly the class was of a very high standard, and writing multitudes of Irish essays isn't what you need when you're studying for highly stressful exams. I've heard similar about French.

When I did it there was one essay, a trip to the Gaeltacht and an 5 minute oral. One of the least taxing SSMs.
    Jeebus wrote: »
    Seemingly pharmacology is a joke with a dire course structure, huge amounts of notes that aren't broken down, and exams that are very loosely based on said notes, so even if you study you may be unlucky.

Wouldn't agree with this at all. Notes were excellent, lecturers were excellent and exam was very fair.

HeadPig wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly going into first year.
    It's a real pity...I'd like to continue learning it. Is there any options to do so at all in the course?

• Advertisement

It's a real pity...I'd like to continue learning it. Is there any options to do so at all in the course?

None whatsoever. :( No idea why.

HeadPig wrote: »
    None whatsoever. :( No idea why.
    Hmm...maybe I'm being extremely naive or whatever sure, but is there any way to propose such an SSM if there was enough support?

Is there any good German-speaking societies in UCC?

Hmm...maybe I'm being extremely naive or whatever sure, but is there any way to propose such an SSM if there was enough support?

Is there any good German-speaking societies in UCC?

It's worth a try I suppose, nothing to lose. There is a German Society alright, no idea what it's like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

It seems UCC doesn't prioritise German though, like didn't they get rid of Commerce and German degree (and possibly Law and German) a few years ago?

Although for all i know, I could be speaking complete rubbish, so take no notice :pac:

Advertisement