Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a free hoster, but it's specific!

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I'm making a local website for my area for people to get to know each other, not exactly a dating site, more a "meet me" sort of site, with about 20 initial members, but we feel confident about expansion. The site will be completely free and therefore so will the provider have to be.

It'll need a database, with an easy log on for users, I've tried some that enforce users login names to be 4374353725_exampleName which is impossible for someone to remember, and unnecessary. Just a simple login, Username and Password.

All users have to be approved before joining the list of available candidates.

If it's possible to make a View, in the SQL sense, so that a user can call a random column from the table according to their predefined likes/ preferences, that's also ideal.

If anyone has any suggestions for hosters, or easier ways for me to go about what I'd like to do please let me know!

I know html, SQL, actionscript, VB.Net, and a little js, so these are all options.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭johnmurph01

Are you making this website out of the goodness of your heart? Or are you hoping to make some revenue from ads?

If you are approaching a hosting company looking for free hosting - ask yourself why they should give you anything for free? Is it a charity site? Will you not be looking for any support? Will you be quite happy if their servers go offline for a day?

What im trying to say is - dream on. No one will give you free hosting for such a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a few hosting providers out there that offer free hosting, though I think they make revenue from advertising or something. It's not a business model I've really looked into

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hosting is cheap enought to be fair, so why not just by some. Off the top of my head you can get an entire years hosting for sub 50 bills form Blacknight.

Adrian

Advertisement