Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.5mm to 1/4 inch cable...

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch jack cable today... forgot to check that it was stereo, and of course when I got it home I discover it's mono... I am using this to put the signal from my ipod through a PA system... What way will the cable handle the stereo from the ipod.. Will I just have to swop for the stereo cable or will it work fine but not in stereo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It will probably just come out of one speaker or play either the left or right though both and you'll miss one side. Tip for future, on the tip of the jack if it has one black ring its mono, two is stereo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tip for future, on the tip of the jack if it has one black ring its mono, two is stereo.

The worst thing is .. I bought one in the same store on Saturday, and I actually identified to the guy in the store that it was mono he was giving me and told him I wanted stereo .. I dont know what I was smoking today but I just never checked it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

The headphone out is not great for a PA. It's the wrong level, and it's too easy to mess with the volume control. Using the line out sounds better, using one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Dock-AUX-3-5mm-Audio-Cable-iPhone-3GS-4-iPod-/280626305345?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits&hash=item4156a19941#ht_2824wt_802

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Putting a mono plug in a stereo socket shorts one channel to ground.
    Not a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

well I'm plugging in to my Yamaha EMX 512c mixer on which the channel 5 and 6 have two 1/4 inch inputs, marked L(MONO) and R ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement