Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press Agency - Getting Pics published

Options
  • 04-04-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Can anyone help me. I am a fashion photographer but also do the odd event.
    I am looking for an agency that I can send in images of celebs at events that can be sold on to papaers/magazines for me.

Also I want to get some of my fashion stuff published. Do I have to do small editorials??? Would really love to know.. and where I wud send this pics to if its an agency or all teh papers directlt to get them printed in magazines and papers.

Hope can help. Have been around a while and hoping to get some stuff published.

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I can facilitate you if you need to - but fashion is fairly limited..... most of the papers usually organise their own photographers....or images from known photo agencies.

Celebs at events .... bit of a grey area - if you are taking pics indoors you are more than likely working for the club/venue or there representing a publication

also there is legal issues with respect to taking an image where there is reasonable expectation of privacy (ie. if a person is mingling indoors and you photograph them - while on private grounds - or even if they are indoors and you are on public grounds there is a reasonable expectation of privacy and the image is technically taken illegally and not publishable - which could result in you and/or a publication being sued....which will have consequences !!

Do you have the required insurance ? working full-time or part-time as a photographer ...or just starting out ? ... you say you are a fashion photographer - have you been doing it long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jamesdublin12

how do u rekon u can help pc photo.

Well as far as I know public place, means that you can take the required photos that you want.

I have taken photos before at events and that, where I have gotten permission to be in there and take photos and they then went on to be sold on. but it was a limited agency to this and wasnt happy with payment from them. I have already had many of my images both indoor and outdoor published of celebs.

Not doing the fashion photography long, but i want to do a shoot with a model and designer, and get her images published of her and teh designers work... Can you help, only you sound very vague in what you are saying to me.

Thanks,

PCPhoto, must you be a pro (self employed) photographer, or have insurance, etc. before papers will take you seriously?

Or is that just to cover your own back, but the papers won't care either way, as long as they get images?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

PCPhoto, must you be a pro (self employed) photographer, or have insurance, etc. before papers will take you seriously?

Or is that just to cover your own back, but the papers won't care either way, as long as they get images?

Depends on national, or local papers I think, I know with Local papers they just take pics via email and if you get published you invoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Depends on national, or local papers I think, I know with Local papers they just take pics via email and if you get published you invoice.

We had the Irish Times Photo Editor in recently. He mentioned none of this - simply said if you have a stunning shot, send it on and he'll publish it.

He showed us the live stream of images coming in (from Reuters and freelance 'togs). It was amazing to watch - they were onscreen for seconds before they were pushed out by another 20. Moral of this: caption your images! PROPERLY! :D

• Advertisement

how do u rekon u can help pc photo.

Well as far as I know public place, means that you can take the required photos that you want.

I have taken photos before at events and that, where I have gotten permission to be in there and take photos and they then went on to be sold on. but it was a limited agency to this and wasnt happy with payment from them. I have already had many of my images both indoor and outdoor published of celebs.

Not doing the fashion photography long, but i want to do a shoot with a model and designer, and get her images published of her and teh designers work... Can you help, only you sound very vague in what you are saying to me.

Thanks,

How can I help ?
    - Because I work full-time as a professional press photographer, I regularly send images to the papers and get images printed on a daily basis with ALL national papers.

To clarify what I was saying earlier about the reasonable expectation of privacy - if someone is at a function they can expect media attention, if they are out having a dinner or in a hotel room and someone shoots through the window there is a reasonable expectation of privacy and even if the images were shot from a public place the photographer can face legal action.

if you are there to photograph on behalf of the venue or organisers then the person would know they are being photographed as they will more than likely be posing and not caught off guard (it would be bad of you to take/send out a photo of someone in a compromising position - ie. picking their nose - if you were given permission to photograph indoors)

if you are looking at trying to make money from selling "social pics" at functions these are generally covered - not a lot of money to be made and Brian McEvoy covers most of the important functions where "celebs" will be present.

if you are trying to "pap" these celebs outside of these functions and other nights out .... you face competition from the few "pap's " that we have in this country and earning potential is limited depending on your network of contacts.

you mention you are going to do a fashion shoot with a model/designer and want to get these images published - do you have a target audience? - meaning is it the launch of a new collection, a new designer .... will you be shooting magazine style images or newspaper style images (there is a difference) .... will you be paid for the shoot or are you doing it for someone you know.

building a business in photography can take years .... sometimes you can get lucky and start earning big money and get big contracts.

KKV - the papers cover themselves with their insurance, I would advise any photographer (amateur or pro) if they are going to put images into the public domain to learn and understand the potential problems they face if an error is made, its basic common sense

- similarly with someone starting in wedding photography, how many operate without insurance yet if someone trips and gets an injury from falling over a piece of camera equipment the photographer faces a bill of €15-20K ....or even if the standard of the work is not what the photographer claims he/she is capable of ...the photographer can be sued.

As for the papers - some of the papers accept images from all sources, some have filters to block unrecognised senders, some restrict their image input to FTP(File transfer protocol) only ... which basically means only those with FTP details can send images directly to the picture desk - this is usually supposed to be for working press photographers - but some press photographers have passed the details to friends starting out in the business etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

PCPhoto wrote: »
    How can I help ?
    - Because I work full-time as a professional press photographer, I regularly send images to the papers and get images printed on a daily basis with ALL national papers.

And also, PCPhoto has helped many photographers of this forum in getting work published. Never anything but praise for his assistance. Coming from a position of knowing nout about how to go about it, I think i'd be listening very attentively to what he's to say.

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    And also, PCPhoto has helped many photographers of this forum in getting work published. Never anything but praise for his assistance. Coming from a position of knowing nout about how to go about it, I think i'd be listening very attentively to what he's to say.

:)

I would second that, PCPhoto has been a great help to a lot of people to get pictures published

Jaysus .... you've both made me blush .....seriously !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Also I want to get some of my fashion stuff published. Do I have to do small editorials??? Would really love to know.. and where I wud send this pics to if its an agency or all teh papers directlt to get them printed in magazines and papers.

I have done some of the social pictures and for the likes of Image magazine they want them on cd with a contact sheet with all the pictures captioned. Get in touch with the magazines that fit in with your pictures and email/mail/ring them to find out if they are looking for fashion/social pictures and what way they require them to be sent in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Jaysus .... you've both made me blush .....seriously !!

.. Just a couple of years in the big smog and you're talking like a Dub!

tis true ....tis true !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Just a quick question related to this area! If you have a picture published do newspapers have an actual "rate card" or are they reluctant to give them out?!

they generally email the rate card out to those who ask ....lets face it you wouldnt ask for a rate card unless you were intent on getting images printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jamesdublin12

Hi PC PHOTO.
    I am doing magazine style outdoor shoot about a designers dressers. I wanna shoot them. But I Wasnt sure who or where or what, and how to send these in, and if need editorials etc???

How do I get contacts for news desks to send images then of media related stuff also?

Firstly ... let me get my head around this.

you are doing a shoot about a designer's dress ? ..... or is the shoot about a new designer or a new collection from a designer ...or just a new dress ?

I'm a little confused (Apologies)

Secondly .... you need to approach the magazine editors (telephone or meet in person) .... explain to them that you have a shoot of X designers new collection and if they are interested in featuring the images or doing an interview with X designer.

Magazines are a lot more different to papers - in terms of layout/print and acceptance of freelance images/copy.... some magazines will entertain you some will tell you they only use Y-Photographer or Z-Agency etc etc - which is their perrogative..... Magazine editors and staff will talk amongst each other so don't say anything about another magazine looking at the images....a little tip is to tell them you are offering them "first refusal" ... meaning that you can give them the images exclusive - if they want to do a deal now !!!

As regards the papers - I'm not going to pass out the relavent (spelling just looks wrong on that) email/FTP details of all the papers on a public forum - if you want for me to send the images to the papers - I can do that but I believe the contact details for the newspapers and relationship with various contacts is something which you build over time - the more you work in the industry the more contacts you build up, the more your images are trusted.

Drop me a PM and I will send you my email..... there is no fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

Very sound advice from PCPhoto. I would echo building a relationship over time as editors like to know you are reliable and can deliver.

Just wondering about image sizes for magazines? Newspapers normally require ~1mb and 300dpi jpegs. Do magazines work with the same sizes or do you compress the jepg less, (~2mb), or not at all, as the pictures published will be higher quality?

:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement