Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Will refuse to do test if there's a hole in the exhaust?

Options
  • 04-04-2011 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this happening, I've heard of this happening just wondering, my car's exhaust is split and will need a new back box, but don't wanna fix it if its going to fail on all the other things that are about to give up as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it audibly obvious that there is a hole in the exhaust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Contact the NCT and ask them for definite.

As far as I know, they will test the car (subject to the exhaust not posing a danger to the tester), but will not test the emissions though as the exhaust defects will cause the emission readings to be wrong and meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭BrianD3

shamwari wrote: »
    Contact the NCT and ask them for definite.

As far as I know, they will test the car (subject to the exhaust not posing a danger to the tester), but will not test the emissions though as the exhaust defects will cause the emission readings to be wrong and meaningless.
    +1, this is probably what will happen. On one occasion my car developed an audible blow near the exhaust manifold on the way to the test centre :( They tested the car but not the emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Cheers for the answers ya, it's pretty much audible and obvious it's not loud, it's like there's something rattling on the inside when I'm taking on off or it's ticking over, I'm sure it would be noticed by someone who tests cars for a living!

Never tought of that, give em a buzz! I'll do that and see do I get anywhere... I might just reschedule and get it fixed up a bit.

Cheers

Advertisement