Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Idea - Developer

Options
  • 04-04-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi,

Curious.

Is there somewhere you can go with website ideas.

Obviously 1) most are are just rubish ideas or 2) are just too expensive to pursue.

But how can you find out if it is rubbish or if someone would be willing to come onboard for a share and help with the development side.

I assume this is a common enough query?

If you cant programme or dont have €20K to pay someone should you just forget your idea or is there a path to follow?

I have had interest in the idea but not from someone who can actually programme and I wouldnt like to risk someone elses money. Even if I did get the money for the development I assume there is a constant requirement for funds to keep a website upto date and free of issue.

Any help apprieciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Hi,

Curious.

Is there somewhere you can go with website ideas.

Obviously 1) most are are just rubish ideas or 2) are just too expensive to pursue.

But how can you find out if it is rubbish or if someone would be willing to come onboard for a share and help with the development side.

I assume this is a common enough query?

If you cant programme or dont have €20K to pay someone should you just forget your idea or is there a path to follow?

I have had interest in the idea but not from someone who can actually programme and I wouldnt like to risk someone elses money. Even if I did get the money for the development I assume there is a constant requirement for funds to keep a website upto date and free of issue.

Any help apprieciated.

Thanks

if you have any experience in managing any type of projects and you have a little more then just an idea you could go down the scriptlance/elance route, it would cost you a lot less then 20K but you could get a rubbish dev(like I did) and that will demoralise you more then anything

I dont really think getting advice is the right thing to do and when i say that i mean asking someone should you go ahead with it. they might not understand your idea properly or may simply not see the gap in the market or whatever. if you believe in your idea put your money were your mouth is and go for it, its the only way to know for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭SlanGoFoil2011

My main fear is the rubbish developer problem. How can you prevent this.

Then you need to make changes and you find out the coding is all over the place.

What I need is someone technical who could do the developent. As it stands I have no idea how much it could cost or how to go about the scriptlance elance route without running into the usual problems.

I suppose the advice I need is who to get my idea onto the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

From a business perspective (and a logical perspective) if you don't have the expertise to make your website, or the money to pay someone to, you have to be prepared to share and tell people what your idea is. I know this is anathema to a lot of people, they immediately think someone is going to steal their idea. However if you don't have the expertise or money, the outcome of not sharing the idea with people is that the idea never goes anywhere and dies with you. If you do share the idea there's a chance someone might steal it, but there's also a chance that someone can help you realise your dream. Keep shtum and it definitely goes nowhere, speak out and it might go somewhere. I know which option I'd choose.

Also, remember that it's your idea. You're the person who has put most thought into it, considered the options and weighed up the pros and cons. You have more knowledge about it than anyone else. That's your advantage. You have the drive to see through the idea to a workable state. It's all well and good to have the ability to make a website, if you don't know what you want to make. But if you have an idea, and you have belief in the idea, you might be able to bring people on board because they have confidence in you. The idea could be good or bad, and no matter what it's going to be a risk. But if people have a little faith in your idea, but a lot of faith in you, they're going to take the leap and try and help you. But you have to be willing to take a chance and let your idea out in the open to attract someone like that.

Is your idea based on a hobby or a sport? Someone who has the same passion for that pasttime might be willing to help you. Chances are you'll find loads of people (on the internet if you look in the right places) who have a passion for what your idea is based on, but who may not have the vision you have. You just need to inspire them.

Is your idea based on a service? There's a lot of people who would be willing to take a chance to help create something they'd use if it was available to them.

Could your idea start small? Then maybe you don't need a huge amount of knowledge to build the basic platform. You could try and learn how to do it yourself. Also, if it could start small someone will probably be willing to help you get the basic, core of your proposal off the ground, they put a little effort in to see a possible big return. And it could grow from there. Lots of people look for something to weigh in behind, it just needs to catch their attention.

Take a chance here. You don't have to outline everything you want to do, but try letting people know what the broad needs of your project would be. You might get some information on where to go next. You can either take a small risk, and learn as you go whether it's possible or not. Or do nothing and become frustrated and give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭SlanGoFoil2011

Thats great advice - thanks.

Its a developer I need as the rest seems to be done

Advertisement