Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up UK bank account

Options
  • 04-04-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering is it possible to set up a UK bank account from Ireland without actually having to go over to the UK and into a branch?

Will be in the UK in 6 weeks time for the summer so that's how long I have to get it sorted. I've heard BOI have a UK service, does anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You could always pop over the North and hit Ulster Bank. All you needs is a proof of ID and a proof of address and you can have an account set up there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

You could always pop over the North and hit Ulster Bank. All you needs is a proof of ID and a proof of address and you can have an account set up there and then.

I'll be in london. Will setting one up in the north be as good as setting one up in england?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes. Northern Ireland is part of the UK after all ;)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Yes. Northern Ireland is part of the UK after all ;)

So I've heard!:D

I assume I'll just need I.D. but will I also need some sort of proof of address in the UK? Don't have accommodation fully sorted yet.

The NI branches have been known to open an account with your ROI address. Call ahead and ask - many people have accounts there who live here. Think about cross border workers, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If you are only going over for a few weeks,you can withdraw money in England using your Irish bank card.Just in case you dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

If you are only going over for a few weeks,you can withdraw money in England using your Irish bank card.Just in case you dont know.

Only if said card is "Cirrus" I believe. Pretty standard on Laser cards but could be different on a plain old ATM card.

SteoL wrote: »
    Only if said card is "Cirrus" I believe. Pretty standard on Laser cards but could be different on a plain old ATM card.

Have a cirrus. Will be working over there and have the option of being paid in euro into my Irish account and just taking it out with cirrus or else starting a UK account and being paid into that. I don't know what sum I would be paid in pounds so with the good exchange rate I think I might be better off being paid in euro then just transferring it as a one off every 2 weeks into a UK account. I'll be there for 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Does anyone know if the same thing applies to First Trust Bank (AIB) - if you have an account will it work in England too (wages, atm etc)?

Yes. See my post above ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There is no problem with having a UK bank account with an RoI address. I have had one for years. UK ATMs will accept most Irish ATM cards, just as Irish (and foreign) ATMs will accept either UK or Irish cards. I have even used both in the depths of Russia and in Indonesia.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Yes. See my post above ;)

Oops! Thanks for that, I was just wondering if I have to give my sort code to work and its 93-xx-xx would they be able to pay into the account.

I just noticed my AIB sort code is 93 as well but only in € - And I couldn't find any First Trust branches in UK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I have an account in BOI in Newry. When I lived in London I had my salary paid into it and it worked no bother.

You can actually make lodgments and withdrawals in the UK Post Offices too if you have a BOI UK account.

Cheers for that. I was just wondering would it work, actually in London for a salary but that brilliant - thanks for that!

Advertisement