Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Clay Pipe, is it old?

• 04-04-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Found this clay pipe on a beach.

Is it likely to be old?

Has 'DERRY' printed into it, which I believe is a type of clay pipe, and there are two other letters printed before the DERRY, possibly 'SD' or '8D'.

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You link is a bit confused, this works: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5106/5588507815_015c2e67d8_o.jpg

The image is also huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Think I've fixed it now. Thanks! :)

I wanted it big to make the lettering on it clear, but here is a smaller version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think it has "EDENDERRY" stamped on it. It looks 19th century to me, due to the style of the lettering. What size is the bowl? The smaller the bowl, the possibilites of being of an earlier date. Tobacco was expensive in the 17th and 18th centuries but became cheaper towards the middle of the 19th, hence more pipes and larger bowls.

Don't have it to hand to measure right now but I'll include a couple of more pictures.

5589145529_d948398e59_o.jpg

5589740082_dcea3934b0_b.jpg

5589150395_587c27e2e1_b.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Morphologically, it's late - 1750's onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Aelfric wrote: »
    Morphologically, it's late - 1750's onwards

I think mid to late 19th century, maybe even later. See how thick the rim of the bowl is?

Mind you, there are still clay pipes being produced today.

I think the 'Derry' may be of importance, if you do a google search for "Derry clay pipe" there are several references to pipes being found with DERRY stamped into them. I don't believe it says 'Edenderry'; upon closer inspection it is almost certainly 'SD' or '8D' followed by 'DERRY'.

There is a report of an arcahological dig on a farm in Co. Down and one of the items recovered is a clay pipe with 'Derry' stamped on it.

The description states:

Clay pipe stem fragment, stamped `DERRY'. The mark `DERRY' referred to a type of pipe which was made in various pipe-making centres, including Belfast and Glasgow, as well as Londonderry. Late nineteenth century.

I wonder if the 8D or SD was a model number for this type of pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

R0C wrote: »

Is it likely to be old?

Has 'DERRY' printed into it, which I believe is a type of clay pipe, and there are two other letters printed before the DERRY, possibly 'SD' or '8D'.

Just wondering if you found it on a beech or in a bank, by the beech. If it was on a beech, I would imagine that the pipe would be very weather worn. It looks very fresh and not stained or eroded. Did you find anything else about your pipe? Be nice to know. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

R0C wrote: »

Is it likely to be old?

Just wondering if you found it on a beech or in a bank, by the beech. If it was on a beech, I would imagine that the pipe would be very weather worn. It looks very fresh and not stained or eroded. Did you find anything else about your pipe? Be nice to know. Good luck

• Advertisement

Well spotted, Jac1, thanks for sharing that link. Very interesting.

The above pipe was found in the sand, outside of the area where the water comes in, partially exposed due to wild weather, and hadn't been in the water (at least not recently) when I found it; it was dry.

After looking in the same spot again, there were more pipes and the very worn remains of a sack. Seems like they may have been buried there rather than washed in by the sea in recent times.

The pipes were discovered on the West coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tweeedy4020

Ya find out much about it??i found one yesterday washed up on a beach in bettystown was wondering the same

Advertisement