Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment of non-taken holidays after leaving job

Options
  • 04-04-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I switched jobs at the end of March, since I was at my previous job longer than a year they required a month notice.
    However, my new job required me to start two weeks later, I notified the old job of the fact I would not be able to fulfill the month's notice, and they verbally agreed to it.

Now, they also promised me that my remaining holidays (+-15) would be paid out.
    Today I got my last paycheck of them, but without holidays.

Is this something that gets paid out separately, or should I contact them (I already did) to see if there's an issue ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Jelle1880 wrote:
    since I was at my previous job longer than a year they required a month notice.
    However, my new job required me to start two weeks later, I notified them and they agreed to it.

Do you mean that you only worked 2 weeks after resigning, or that the "2 weeks later" was on top of the 4 weeks notice?

If it's the former, I would be worried that all they've done is allowed you to use your remaining leave as part of your notice period, therefore using up 10 of those days?

I imagine that the exact details of when you're paid any outstanding leave depends from company to company. There's not a huge amount mentioned here, but some of the links on the page might give you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Yeah, I was talking about only working 2 weeks of the notice (So basically half of what I was told to work).

Would make sense about using the rest of the days, but that would still leave several days (+-5) left which haven't been paid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah, either way you should be owed something. Have they given you your P45 yet? I'd imagine they'd want everything finalised before they issue that to you. I reckon that chasing them up is really your best course of action.

Yeah, still waiting for that as well (What is up with these Irish companies, Manpower were the exact same :D ).

i guess I'll have a talk with the HR at my new job, see what they say (I believe it's not location-related but that these days HAVE to be compensated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

why do you think you are owed holiday money? did you not take your full holiday entitlement in 2010? you may be entitled to 20 days annual leave in a year, but only if you work the whole year. annual leave entitlement is accrued as time goes on. thus if you used up all of last years entitlement, and you have not taken any annual leave days so far this year, then your holiday entitlement this year at the end of march was exactly 5 days. (1 2/3 days per month x 3).
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Advertisement

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    why do you think you are owed holiday money? did you not take your full holiday entitlement in 2010? you may be entitled to 20 days annual leave in a year, but only if you work the whole year. annual leave entitlement is accrued as time goes on. thus if you used up all of last years entitlement, and you have not taken any annual leave days so far this year, then your holiday entitlement this year at the end of march was exactly 5 days. (1 2/3 days per month x 3).
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

I know all my days were used up in 2010, but I thought you were automatically entitled to the 20 days annual leave from the start of the new year, thanks for clearing it up ;)

Advertisement