Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda injured in Dublin park assault

Options
  • 04-04-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0404/raheny.html

Hope the Person makes a speedy recovery and the scummer that attacked them gets some sort of justice.

Let's not forget, years and years back. One Garda lost his life in this park on patrol. Bit foggy on the details, but I think he was shot. (This was way before I was born BTW).
    One man has been arrested in connection with an assault on a garda and another man in Raheny, Co Dublin.

The incident happened in St Anne's Park at 6.30pm yesterday evening.

The garda had been called to the scene to the deal with a disturbance.

All three were taken to Beaumont Hospital.

The garda and the suspect were later discharged, while the other man remains in a stable condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

wishing the garda and the other injured man a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

msg11 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0404/raheny.html

Hope the Person makes a speedy recovery and the scummer that attacked them gets some sort of justice.

Let's not forget, years and years back. One Garda lost his life in this park on patrol. Bit foggy on the details, but I think he was shot. (This was way before I was born BTW).

*******Off topic so delete completely if ya want mods******

That officer was off duty and chased armed robbers, he was shot in the back of the head from point blank range by the female while restraining the male.

They were sentences for capital murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Eru wrote: »
    *******Off topic so delete completely if ya want mods******

That officer was off duty and chased armed robbers, he was shot in the back of the head from point blank range by the female while restraining the male.

They were sentences for capital murder.

Are you sure? I thought they got off on the capital murder charge because they were able to provide doubt as to wether they should have known he was a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

k_mac wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought they got off on the capital murder charge because they were able to provide doubt as to wether they should have known he was a Garda.

If its the case im thinking they got life in prison for murder, as you say capital murder was not proven in trial......but im open to rebuttal from ERU!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Garda Michael Reynolds was the third garda to be killed in the era of the troubles. He was shot dead in St Anne's Park after a bank robbery in September 1975. He had been off duty, out shopping with his wife and daughter when he came across the raiders' getaway car. He fearlessly pursued the raiders and caught up with them in the park where he was brutally gunned down within earshot of his family.

Marie and Noel Murray were later convicted of his capital murder, initially sentenced to death. On appeal and retrial they were convicted of murder and received the lesser sentence of life imprisonment. They later took an unsuccessful constitutional case for conjugal rights in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Garda Michael Reynolds was the third garda to be killed in the era of the troubles. He was shot dead in St Anne's Park after a bank robbery in September 1975. He had been off duty, out shopping with his wife and daughter when he came across the raiders' getaway car. He fearlessly pursued the raiders and caught up with them in the park where he was brutally gunned down within earshot of his family.

Marie and Noel Murray were later convicted of his capital murder, initially sentenced to death. On appeal and retrial they were convicted of murder and received the lesser sentence of life imprisonment. They later took an unsuccessful constitutional case for conjugal rights in prison.

..... and were released from prison in the early 1990's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Every single Garda should be armed when I was living in America they have a habbit of over using there wepons but I think it has come to a stage very we have no other choice here . Can I ask one question regarding our police force. In Great Britain when someone gives verbel abuse to a member of the police they are arested you can call a garda every name under the sun like the F word and noting happens but in Great Britain police officers lamp you to the ground as soon as it comes out of your mouth so my question is have we laws in Ireland that say you can be arested if you use insulting words towards a officer of the law or using verbel abuse . They should be like the police in englang and show them who is boss we are to bloody soft in this country time to get tough with these scum !

rescue16 wrote: »
    Every single Garda should be armed when I was living in America they have a habbit of over using there wepons but I think it has come to a stage very we have no other choice here . Can I ask one question regarding our police force. In Great Britain when someone gives verbel abuse to a member of the police they are arested you can call a garda every name under the sun like the F word and noting happens but in Great Britain police officers lamp you to the ground as soon as it comes out of your mouth so my question is have we laws in Ireland that say you can be arested if you use insulting words towards a officer of the law or using verbel abuse . They should be like the police in englang and show them who is boss we are to bloody soft in this country time to get tough with these scum !

The arming question has been done before. There are a few threads knocking about in here.

Re the bad language, we have the power in the Public Order Act but I guess most people think of it as being too trivial to bother arresting somebody and go to hassle of doing the paperwork. At least in the UK there is an FCPS for it. That may make it easier to use over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

foreign wrote: »
    The arming question has been done before. There are a few threads knocking about in here.

Re the bad language, we have the power in the Public Order Act but I guess most people think of it as being too trivial to bother arresting somebody and go to hassle of doing the paperwork. At least in the UK there is an FCPS for it. That may make it easier to use over here.
    They have to do something thanks for the heads up about the other threads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

foreign wrote: »

Disorderly conduct can now be dealt with by fixed charge but most places dont...

Source

• Advertisement

Dont agree with arming all Gardai at all
    But as foreign says another thread (or multiple threads exist on this)

NGA wrote: »
    If its the case im thinking they got life in prison for murder, as you say capital murder was not proven in trial......but im open to rebuttal from ERU!

Wasn't that a post office robbery in Wicklow somewhere?
    I have that as a case stated in my notes somewhere will root it out tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

yes you can be arrested for being abusive to a GARDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

IF ALL GARDAI were to be armed it would require a lot of training in the use of wepons something similer to that of the ERU or detective units you couldent just go handing out guns willie nilly but in view of the way crime has taken it's toll in todays society in lots of ways i think it will be neccessery and what can a uniform Garda do if he comes accross a person or person's that are armed all of a sudden he might not get the chance to contact an armed unit and could end up dead or injuired...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Off topic a bit but anyway,

Just because its a GARDA ye automatically feel sorry for them more so than others?

I resent the Garda because I mugged by 3 guys and got stabbed and they even took my fcuking car. What did the Guards do....... SFA.... Thats why I don't reside in Ireland anymore.

Things like that happen everyday and often its much worse that what that guy probably got. I'm not saying I don't feel sorry for him, obviously I do but why does that incident get more exposure than others when it will obviously be looked after anyway given he is a guard.

Hope this is AH not a different forum just for Guards or something lol. Got myself banned from one earlier by making that mistake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Lavattack wrote: »

Just because its a GARDA ye automatically feel sorry for them more so than others?

I resent the Garda because I mugged by 3 guys and got stabbed and they even took my fcuking car. What did the Guards do....... SFA.... Thats why I don't reside in Ireland anymore.

Things like that happen everyday and often its much worse that what that guy probably got. I'm not saying I don't feel sorry for him, obviously I do but why does that incident get more exposure than others when it will obviously be looked after anyway given he is a guard.

Hope this is AH not a different forum just for Guards or something lol. Got myself banned from one earlier by making that mistake :)

Care to expand on that ?

You got mugged, stabbed and your car robbed. How is that the Gardas fault ? I'm sure if they seen it in progress, the outcome would have been different. Look it's awful what happent to you, but the Garda don't have magical powers that tell them who done it. And it ain't going to be solved overnight I have heard of cases reported 3 years ago and only coming back now to some people.

And to be honest, I feel sorry for all three. The clown waving a broken bottle around. Stabbing a man walking around a park with his wife and the Garda who was brave enoght to challenge the said clown. It's the people who we 'automatically' feel sorry for that stop clowns going around causing all sorts of mayhem.

Now I have problem some Garda, I got fined by one cause of a bit of litter which I think was unfair, even if I was in the wrong. Your man was a total dickhead, but even at that I wouldn't like to see him attacked with a bottle.

Thankfully I have had more good experiences with Garda than bad.

Also can I ask you this,

If the above incident was to surface again with three blokes in custody awaiting trail , would you come back to Ireland to give evidence of what happened to you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

To be honest, I would fear for us as a society if the stabbing of a Garda didn't cause more outrage and get more attention than the stabbing of a non-Garda.

It's aweful that we have people getting attacked on a regular basis and I feel equally sorry for each person that gets attacked. But it does shock me more when I hear of a Garda being attacked.

If there are people out there who aren't afraid to attack a Garda then who are they afraid of attacking?! Someone who would actually attack a Garda is very serious threat to the rest of society in my opinion.

[I'm not a Garda by the way]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

As another poster said its more shocking when its a Member of An Garda Siochana, ie a person who has essentially devoted their life to looking after the general public.

Yes as another poster stated occasionally some Gardai may have a poor attitude, or behave in a manner that is below the standard expected, but these are people who work unpleasant hours for 30+ years filling in the gaps left by the HSE, Voluntary services, co. councils, etc in addition to dealing with criminals who think nothing of injuring them...

There are Gardai injured regularly in the line of duty and unfortunately it does not always make headlines, and when we do hear of it we should be rightfully horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Agh come on, less of the blatant trolling.

This is not AH....this is an ES forum.

Infracted. Next time its a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was the Garda who got attacked with the bottle not in uniform or off duty?

It said in the paper yesterday that he was un-armed,does that mean he didn't have his baton/pepper spray etc on him?

Hope the Garda that was injured makes a quick recovery btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

What did the Guards do....... SFA....

One of the biggest secrets/misconceptions about the police is - people think that the police can prevent these crimes -- here's a newsflash:- they can't.

Police/Gardai can to 'an extent' prevent crime - put more guards on the beat more patrols, technologies etc... and launch initiatives/operations - but as sure as people are people and its sad to say - there will ALWAYS be crime happening to some poor unfortunate somewhere.

Hope the Garda recovers and comes back to work in full form. I heard it was a nasty assault.

NGA wrote: »
    Agh come on, less of the blatant trolling.

This is not AH....this is an ES forum.

Infracted. Next time its a ban

I just got a PM from you also notifying me about this. In fairness I did say I don't know how to tell the difference between them. I went to the trouble of saying sorry just incase I did it again.

Some-one asked me to elaborate.

Easter weekend of last year I was stabbed and they 3 attackers crashed the car they took from me a few hundred yards from where they stabbed me. I ran to the local shop and they ran where-ever. I rang the guards and they sent out a ambulance. While the doctor literally had her finger inside my back checking how deep the main cut was the 3 guys walk straight past. I shouted the the guards "thats them" (they were in plain clothes) They simply walked out and arrested and put em in seperate squad cars. The following day the guard handling the case calls me and says that 2 of the guys gave full confessions and they also found the knife with my blood. The 3rd guy( the guy who actually stabbed me) gave a full confession the day after. Then all 3 were released. Back into my locality to threathen my family members!! The guards more or less told me nothing would come of it..... and guess what. they were right! For being the victim of such a crime I am forced to move.
    And.... I had to pay for a new car myself and fix the wall that they hit out of my own pocket!

And NGA I will PM you also now in a minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I just got a PM from you also notifying me about this. In fairness I did say I don't know how to tell the difference between them. I went to the trouble of saying sorry just incase I did it again.

Some-one asked me to elaborate.

Easter weekend of last year I was stabbed and they 3 attackers crashed the car they took from me a few hundred yards from where they stabbed me. I ran to the local shop and they ran where-ever. I rang the guards and they sent out a ambulance. While the doctor literally had her finger inside my back checking how deep the main cut was the 3 guys walk straight past. I shouted the the guards "thats them" (they were in plain clothes) They simply walked out and arrested and put em in seperate squad cars. The following day the guard handling the case calls me and says that 2 of the guys gave full confessions and they also found the knife with my blood. The 3rd guy( the guy who actually stabbed me) gave a full confession the day after. Then all 3 were released. Back into my locality to threathen my family members!! The guards more or less told me nothing would come of it..... and guess what. they were right! For being the victim of such a crime I am forced to move.
    And.... I had to pay for a new car myself and fix the wall that they hit out of my own pocket!

And NGA I will PM you also now in a minute

How did nothing come of it? Did you get a reason or follow it up? Where any charges brought?

Did you not have theft insurance for the car?

k_mac wrote: »
    How did nothing come of it? Did you get a reason or follow it up? Where any charges brought?

Did you not have theft insurance for the car?

I don't know what officially what happened but seemingly he was willing to basically rat some-one out in return for this being ignored, at least thats what I heard anyway. I know guards have to go after the bigger guys because that ultimately will stop all the smaller incidents like but surely a stabbing cant be ignored. No none of the 3 were formally charged after they were released (if thats what you mean)

And because I technically gave him the keys of the car( as in took them out of my pocket and handed them to him while he had a knife to me) they wouldn't pay for it.It was honestly just a cheap inbetween car in anycase but it still cost me the price of it.

I didn't mean for this to go about me, I was just meaning that I think a citizen is a citizen whatever job they do. All crimes should be treated equally and as I have found out since there is a lot of guards in this forum, and I'm sure even if ye don't admit it ye know where im coming from. Its one law for some and a different for another.

Also after reading the charted I see that it says I'm supposed to go the appropriate route if I have a complaint so sorry if I offended any-one. To be honest its a year next week since it happened and I have been thinking about it lately and was just pi$$ed off that day.

Anyway I will drop it now ok.

Lav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭stockyboie

woah thats not right at all. Wait you got stabbed and the guys were let off the hook?

It seems like policing in ireland is carried out haphazardly. Im not sure why this is. Lack of resources, jail space etc but just appears as though the interpretation of the laws are taken into their own hands. My own experiences of dealing with them range from very helpful and very good to very useless and very ignorant.

I think definetly there is a lack of oversight within the gardai. I don't think they even use supervising officers when out on patrol. Just a case of coming across a crime and dealing with it ad lib instead of following specific rules and regulations. Thats just my opinion of what ive witnessed and heard from other people also so i could be wrong.

I dunno i mean in most western countries if you get stabbed the perpetrators are arrested and sent to jail.

Theres too much bureaucracy in government institutions in ireland and unfortunately it appears the same in the garda siochana. Its not the individual police officers fault they are just following guidelines but in fairness the amont of paperwork alone that has to be gone through for a case such as your own and the waittimes are unacceptable. The offenders should have been sent to a facility such as a city jail like they do in the states, u.k or australia but we don't seem to have any in ireland. I mean the cops here seem to take statements then leave it up to the victim wheither they want to press charges. Mostly they seem to try and disuade people from taking more action by saying 'you may want to deal with it' but

(a) they'll probably get away
    (b) don't want to risk recriminations

to cover the fact that

(a) not enough resources to put these people away
    (B) do not want to deal with the paperwork
    (c) on orders from higher up to let offenders get away for other reasons
    (d) court system is a mess in this country and takes forever to get convictions

If someone stabs someone it should be mandatory jailtime regardless of wheither a victim presses charges or not.

Im not in blaming gardai in any way. I think the justice, court system and jail processing facilites in ireland are outdated by at least 40 years and they are just dealing with the hand given to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

I

Easter weekend of last year I was stabbed and they 3 attackers crashed the car they took from me a few hundred yards from where they stabbed me. I ran to the local shop and they ran where-ever. I rang the guards and they sent out a ambulance. While the doctor literally had her finger inside my back checking how deep the main cut was the 3 guys walk straight past.

Kinda odd that they stabbed you, robbed a car and then decided walk past you when the gaurds came. Just saying its odd, thats all.

Hope that Garda gets well soon

angry_fox wrote: »
    Kinda odd that they stabbed you, robbed a car and then decided walk past you when the gaurds came. Just saying its odd, thats all.

Hope that Garda gets well soon

The garage has a dealership just beside the shop and we were in the showroom when they walked past, All the squads were unmarked at the time but there was an ambulance in the forecourt and it didn't stop them.

I'm not pushed whether or not you believe me tbh. It would be impossible to make something like that up like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Don't believe a word of this TBH. If 3 guys were caught as you describe, and they found the weapon used, positive ID, arrested at scene, 3 Full admissions made they would be charged, remanded in custody or at least bail conditions set and a file to the DPP.

And how did these guys threaten your family members??you didnt mention that they were personally known to you...

Advertisement