Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points and Fines?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

At the moment you have only 8 so if you can keep within the law from now on for 2 years you should be ok?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Overpaying to avoid points is a myth. If you have not paid the fine within the 56 days regardless of how many incorrect postal orders you send, you will get a summons to go to court.

Time to change your driving style me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi Mike,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is 3 years to clear the points off your license and they are not removed until you get an official letter in the post. You will be just stalling the process by not paying and they are probably used to that game by now.

The sooner the fine is paid the sooner they are off your license. The alternative is the drive safely though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Mike_ wrote: »
    As well just wondering should i need to cud i transfer the points onto another person's license as i need my license for my job ? Sorry for the lifestory:confused::)

How about driving below the speed limit, using a handsfree set for your phone and put on your seat belt before you start.

If you can't do this, just take it like a man and walk after you've lost your drivers license, don't whine about it like a little girl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If you put as much effort and consideration into your driving habits as you do in trying to get around fines, you would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Try doing a 4 hour journey 4 times a week and drive the speed limits doing. Easy to lose track of the speed when your driving so long

Not really. I'm on the road most of the week and find it easy to spot the speed limit signs and ensure I'm at the speed before I enter the zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

I find these yokes a great help......
    50km.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Im not asking about what speed limit signs look like, im asking about transferring penalty points :)

You broke the rules, you pay for the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

sure nearly everyone is on the road most of the week. sorry for goin a max of 6mph over . as i said i lose track

Mike, with any speeding thread the high horses come out in abundance, best advise is to ignore them and take onboard other (helpful) replies.

With regards having someone else get the points on their licence instead I dont think it's possible if you were stopped by a Garda but might have been possible with the speed vans if you said that someone else was driving your car.

Points stay on your licence for 3 years and you will need to inform your insurance company of the points incurred once you receive the official letter in the post after paying the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Try doing a 4 hour journey 4 times a week and drive the speed limits doing. Easy to lose track of the speed when your driving so long
    FWIW, your problem isn't your speed, it's your observation. In any case, I don't think you've any choice now but to obey the rules religiously for the next 3 years. Forget about the rights and wrongs of it - do you want to keep your license or not? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is 3 years to clear the points off your license and they are not removed until you get an official letter in the post. You will be just stalling the process by not paying and they are probably used to that game by now.

The sooner the fine is paid the sooner they are off your license. The alternative is the drive safely though :p

Bit in bold is false. I had 6 points drop off last June 2010 and got no letter. I called them up only 2 weeks ago as i thought they were due to drop off this june. Girls told me my licence is now clean. I asked why i wasnt informed and she told me they only send out the notification by request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

mike wrote:
    i was looking at my fone and was pulling on my seatbelt just after takin off.

Love it! I suppose it was your third hand on the wheel then?

Im not trying to get around the fines im just wondering can points be transferd as i need my license for the tractor more than anything else. I have no problem in paying the fines. Like its just with 8 its also hard to get insured on a tdi. Was hoping to change my van to a tdi as the 1.9 i have now is too hard on diesel. I have no problem with the fines

You're whining again. Take it like a man. Don't do the crime if you can't take the time.

I can't really understand why you think the law shouldn't apply to you, just because you need your driving license for work. If you know you need your license for work, you should even be more carefull than a normal driver in obeying the traffic laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

i was looking at my fone and was pulling on my seatbelt just after takin off.

I hope you didn't spill your beer!

i was looking at my fone and was pulling on my seatbelt just after takin off.[/b]

Love it! I suppose it was your third hand on the wheel then?

Hey, he still had two knees left. More than enough to steer a car.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mdebets wrote: »
    If you know you need your license for work, you should even be more carefull than a normal driver in obeying the traffic laws.
    It's quite possible to disobey traffic laws on occasion and still remain points-free, if you pay sufficient attention to what's going on around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thread closed because Mike's taken his ball and gone home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement