Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dictator help

Options
  • 04-04-2011 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey lads, I was wondering if anyone would be around on wednesday (XGC) for a few games and a bit of helping a guy out. I'm really trying to improve my game and even if there isn't a Dic player or someone who knows him, anyone that feels they could point out the do's and don'ts of someone's game and help me to improve a bit would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, you're in luck, we have some damn good Dictators in Ireland.

Azza/ Stavenger1 is easy to find online and is very helpful. However he will turn you into mush when you play him.

Blag is from the north, and plays in a very aggressive style.

Both of them have a very good knowledge of Dictator and are extremely willing to share.

I think the only one you'll find at casuals though is Dreddy, his Dic isn't on the same level as those two but I have seen him win plenty of fights with him (he's one of those counter picker types) and he'd probably have a deeper understanding of the SSFIV engine than 99% of Irish players.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Another Idea is to watch videos on youtube of Top dictator players. Lots of videos on YT. Watch the pros, learn from them then adapt your own style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

His name is Bison.

We're not Japanese.

We can distinguish him by his name, which was given to him in 1992 IIRC.

M.Bison

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

If your on xbl il can give you a good few games, tag is the same as my name. Im probably a bit rusty at the moment though, I havent played in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CloudRunner89

If you watch enough streams and videos online it's hard not to start calling him Dictator by habit, also I wouldn't be surprised if most people agreed that the moniker "dictator" is ****ing cool.

Cheers lads I've played azza online and blag at an inferno awhile back he said he'd be up for a few sessions. I do understand though and can apply all of the basics zoning, footies etc but doom always bodies me with guile (even if i'm humming guiles theme) so I guess I'm mainly looking for pointers or a critique from those of dreddy's level (only using dreddy coz I've played him so much and know how good he is) Just really trying to improve my playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xinkai wrote: »
    His name is Bison.

We're not Japanese.

We can distinguish him by his name, which was given to him in 1992 IIRC.

M.Bison
    Says the former king of the weeaboos.
    but doom always bodies me with guile (even if i'm humming guiles theme)
    That's because Doom has Guile Theme RUNNING THROUGH HIS VEINS.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Hey man, I remember talking to you about some stuff the last time I was at an Inferno, add me on xbox live ( IM BRIANBLESSED) and whenever I'm around I'll have a few games. Also try to get games with Azza, he usually has a mic and knows his stuff in depth and is probably more likely to be online than me anytime soon.

As the others have said try going to casuals and speak to Dreddy, he understands how Bison works very well. Other than that, like Hound said, watch vids (youtube: Neurosis, TUC, Kimi1234, Gagapa, Haritsuka, even some of the american players are worth a look; AndyOCR, Hiro, Yipes, Andre/Twisted Jago).

Watching good Bisons is a really good way of understanding different approaches to Bison and will definitely help develop your own style.

I have plenty of footage of Blag and azza on the brianvondoom youtube channel too.

Knew keeping this stuff'd be handy some day.

Cheers lads I've played azza online and blag at an inferno awhile back he said he'd be up for a few sessions. I do understand though and can apply all of the basics zoning, footies etc but doom always bodies me with guile (even if i'm humming guiles theme) so I guess I'm mainly looking for pointers or a critique from those of dreddy's level (only using dreddy coz I've played him so much and know how good he is) Just really trying to improve my playing.

You have to take into account how much in favour that match is for Guile and how much experience I've had in the match up. I must have played azza for thousands of rounds by this point. The match up floats between me having the advantage and him, every time one of us seems to learn something new :)

That said, both him and blag are more than able to beat me, so it's far from impossible. I believe the secret is cornering Guile and applying unending pressure. In my last match with Blag I cracked and let him back me into the corner several times. It's my thing I am working on at them moment (holding my ground instead of running away).

Of course, this relies on getting in on him, and Guile's built to keep Bison out.

If you want some specific help with that match up hit me up on XBL or PSN and I'll even record a couple of the matches for analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Walk back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

you need to love your character like you love thy self.
    for some loving inspiration : http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2010/01/05/3d-m-bison-is-the-most-badass-street-fighter-youve-ever-seen/

cheers lads, yeah in my opinion kim1234, jago and kuma have been the people i've watched endlessly. I know what you mean a good guile is a nightmare, i've learned a lot but the one thing taking the most time is appling unendind corner pressure in an actually match. cheers tho and i'll add everyone!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

If there is a particular match up you want advice for let us know and I'll spill the beans.

And ignore Xinkai, calling him Dictator is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Cheers for the mentions guys, my Dictator ain't exactly the best though :pac: I'm always happy to help out at casuals, gets me hype seeing players actively trying to improve their game

• Registered Users Posts: 29 deeds372

the bison thread on shoryuken.com has all you need to know.

his strengths are his godlike normals and frame traps.
    his weakness is probably his anti airs which take a bit of getting used to, and his damage output is not the best.

some characters you can rush down all day (gouken) while others you gotta be really patient with (guile/ryu) while some you just gotta run away from (fei long/cammy)

also learn his safejump setups.

if in doubt spam HK:D

Cheers man, I'm handy with all the normals, anti-airs and match-ups it's more learning safe jumps and frame traps (like you say) that I need to boost my skill, I'll check srk for his frame traps!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Bisons best frame trap is c.lk, cl.hp.

8 frame gap means its good at catching delayed crouch tech. You can cancel the cl.hp into l.sk for safe chip damage even the cl.hp is block.

If you do score a counter hit its very easy to combo into c.lk x m.sk as on counter hit cl.hp leaves you at +7. You could even combo into c.mp if your on point.

Obviously with an 8 frame gap its looses to mash crouch tech. If you find yourself being counter hit use a faster starting move like c.mp (6 frames) s.hk (5 frames) or c.mk (4 frames)

As for safe jumps. Anyone with a 5 frame reversal can be safe jumped easily with practise. But your still going need to set the safe jump off a throw. Anything above that gets easier.

4 frame reversals are technically safe jumpable but in practise are not worth the effort. There simply too hard to do. Don't bother trying to safe jump, Zangief (don't jump at all at him), Guile (free to cross ups), Dee-Jay (when he has meter) Guy (when he has meter) and Blanka (when he has meter)

I believe in AE Yun's dp are 5-6 frames in start up but the ex.version comes out in 4.

Learn the pusedo safe jump (not a safe jump at all) where Bison performs a j.hp that causes reversals to whiff unless the opponent can perform a difficult none reversal dp. (Very hard for Sagat to do). It can be forward dashed out of, which is rather counter intuitve for your opponent. If your opponent wises up and starts forward dashing out switch to non safe jump j.mk and your will catch them in the forward dash.

This set up causes pretty much ever reversal to whiff. However Gief, Blanka and Dee Jay have reversal that counter this set up.

Perform as close to a meaty as possible. This moves stuffs light DP's and causes all others DP's to whiffs. Ken's medium DP beats it clean. If you walk just a little more forward before performing the jump in all DP's whiff.

Against Cammy switch to jumping hk and performing the same set up which stuffs cannon spike clean.

Characters with 3 frame reversal (Ryu, Evil Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Oni) are actually safe jumpable as well due to the long reach of Bisons j.hk However the set up doesn't lead to a safe block string as its leaves Bison a long way away from them. Characters with Raging Demon Supers or Ultras can counter this technique too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yun also gets up the fastest, Azza, you'll have to watch that.

Thanks Azza, I'm going to start practicing tonight and try to work it into a few online games tonight too, great help man, exactly what I need to improve.

Actually man after re-readingyour post there really is some unreal useful information, really can't wait to try get them down now

• Advertisement
Advertisement