Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Abercrombie - First Law trilogy

Options
  • 02-04-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Just saw this in a BOGOF offer in easons. Flicked through a few pages and kind of caught my attention. Can anyone recommend it? I've been out of fantasy/sci-fi books for quite a while now and need to make a return.

Just worried it is in an BOGOF section in a shop that rarely does decent offers.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

120% recommend it - as would many others here. It's not your typical fantasy series - it's full of dark humour and nasty but entertaining characters (e.g. one of the leads is a self-deprecating hunchbacked torturer). It's a breath of fresh air from the farm boy prophecy cliché.

As it happens I'm reading "Best Served Cold" (a one-off series set in the same 'verse), and it's reminding of how much fun Abercrombie is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

+1 the above

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Cheers. Will get this next week. Looking forward to the "dark" side lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Definately get, possibly the most brutally violent fantasy books i've ever read. Great story and some fantastic characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Just saw this in a BOGOF offer in easons. Flicked through a few pages and kind of caught my attention. Can anyone recommend it? I've been out of fantasy/sci-fi books for quite a while now and need to make a return.

Just worried it is in an BOGOF section in a shop that rarely does decent offers.

As others have already said....great stuff!,not to be missed. Sand dan Glokta is one of my favourite fantasy characters. Logan ninefingers,Jezal dan luther.I miss them........damn if I had time I would love to reread them all.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Great series, go for it. Satisfyingly dark and humorous, and almost certainly open to further sequels.
    At least I hope so, Logen's somewhat hasty exit left me frustrated. I'd like to see him and Ferro cross paths again.

I'll pick up his other two when I'm in need of respite from Erikson's weightier tomes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

It's great, really cynical and darkly humorous. I've read the trilogy, finished Best Served Cold last week and just started on the most recent one, The Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Picked up the first 2 today. Really looking forward to starting these. Should make an interesting couple of weeks.

Advertisement