Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding another phone point for WLAN?

Options
  • 02-04-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Quick one... I have recently signed up to Magnet (switching from Eircom), but live in a large Georgian building. I live a floor above the phone point. I quickly nabbed magnet's offer that was going a while back for their 24mb line, before trying to figure out if I can get an extension.

Now the issue I have the wireless setup downstairs but the signal often lets me down, especially with the size of the walls in the building (roughly getting 10mb speeds because the wireless strength is usually at %40). I know I can get wireless bridges and stuff, but the modem they provide isn't the best so extending that signal doesn't seem like the best option either.

I've heard about those Ethernet Plug adapters that turn your power lines into a network, however I want a wireless point on the floor, not just one Ethernet point (as I have several devices to connect etc., etc.) I see some of them offer wireless capabilities, but they seem expensive, and I'm not sure if they'll work as I've never come across some of these brands (devolon/edimax etc., etc)

So, really, is my best option extending the phone point up to this floor? And if so, does anybody know any companies that offer this service? (I'd imagine it might be tricky considering the building we're in)

Appreciate any help in the matter!

-A

P.S: I posted this here as I wasn't sure if it belonged here or Wireless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Can you not just get an electrician to extend the phone line upstairs for you? Wouldnt cost alot at all. Unless your living in bomb shelter, the thickest of walls can be drilled through discreetly!

Advertisement