Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Other Half White Ribbon Campaign

Options
  • 01-04-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

just got linked to this site the other half. Interested to see what people think of it here, as the issue has come up before. Mods, Sorry if this is inappropriate or counts as the same topic over again, do with it what you will if so.

Personally, on the one hand I think it's great. To think that only women can work to defend themselves (which is what it comes down to if they're working in isolation) is ridiculous, men are good and caring people too and can certainly help to fight domestic violence. (I have to wonder how much 'Vocalising your opposition to violence against women' etc. are effective, lots of 'duh...' responses but it certainly can't hurt anyway...)

On the other hand, it annoyed me a little bit that the campaign is so blind to domestic violence against men and/or violence by women. I see so much talk of 'breaking out of the man box' and breaking down male stereotypes, why is there still the assumption that women are always the victims and men are always the oppressors?

Final Disclaimer : Hopefully this was clear above but just in case, I am totally and unequivocally against domestic violence in all its forms, including but most importantly not limited to, violence by men against women.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Noble cause, but a prime opportunity to get through to men who have been victims missed. This is the kind of thing that could do amazing work to convey the message that domestic violence against men, women, children is simply not acceptable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Volence is always unacceptable but the idea that women are the only victims is rediculous (mother has been violent to me and my daddy all of my life).

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

And just like in the 2in2u campaign it once again ignores all victims except for hetherosexual women. This new platform is even better placed for being a non gender/sexual orientated approach to tackling domestic violence but yet it isn't.

Advertisement