Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Circular Object Found in Soil in Meath

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Its over half a centimetre thick and kinda heavy. It has a circular centre and some other markings that are partly worn away. I found it in my garden in East Meath Area, half a mile from the coast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

It looks like it's made of iron, that central piece in the centre, is it raised on one side? How heavy is it, estimate? It looks like a boss, but that might be just me getting excited. Because a boss wouldn't be that heavy.

OR could be a lead round that's deformed when hitting something. But looks too big for a round. That was what I thought at first but..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Polic aye

Hi, Thanks for replying.
    I weighed it > Its 300grams /10.5 Ounces.
    Its hard to tell if parts of it are the original piece or just the oxidation.

I found this on line http://www.monacoauctions.com/Default.aspx?tabid=782&ItemID=5067 It looks really similar but just a lot smaller.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Did you try a magnet to see if it's ferrous metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Polic aye

Well the rust is orange so Im pretty sure theres some iron in it. I dropped it into the National Museum and they are going to scan it. I did some research myself and yes seems to be a boss but a horse bridle boss that would have been outside the bit, like on a decorated war horse. Anyway the lady in the Museum said that when they scan it this will tell the composition of the metal and indicate the era. I've read online that Vikings did use Fleur de Lis and the Museum Curator said viking pins and graves were found about a mile away from me, in Bettystown, 30 years ago. Ill keep you posted on the results of the scan :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It looks like the middle remains of a round battle shield

• Advertisement
Advertisement