Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Garda allowed?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Just a quick question.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

A lot would depend on why they wish to talk to you.
    Whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Their not not allowed. Its just not a done thing. If they were trying to do you a turn sure whats the harm but if you evading them...theyre more than justified. Like the last poster said finish the story..

They were just trying to help so. Let your employer know the story. Maybe the guard might explain it for you if ure that concerned. I would. But at the end of the day they were trying to do u a favour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevHos

I know they were trying to do me a favor and I thanked them for it but what upset me was they contacted my employer without my consent "fair enough they were trying to help so I'm kinda ok with it" but that they never bothered to tell me that they contacted my employer and that I should maybe explain why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I never understand these questions, why in the world would they not be allowed? Do you think theres a law that forbids it? Can your friends go to your work place to look for you? gardai have more powers not less.

They were tying to give your property back and the response they get is you looking for a rule that gets them in trouble for it. Jesus wept and Gardai gave up

• Advertisement

Eru wrote: »
    I never understand these questions, why in the world would they not be allowed? Do you think theres a law that forbids it? Can your friends go to your work place to look for you? gardai have more powers not less.

They were tying to give your property back and the response they get is you looking for a rule that gets them in trouble for it. Jesus wept and Gardai gave up
    Ah but u can see where the op is coming from!!
    Just explain it to your employer and clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

nothing to say that they can't contact your place of work, probably not best practice but if you didn't answer your mobile, they just wanted to return a bag to its owner and thought they were doing a good deed. I'd have more beef with your employer if the message was given to him/her and then he/she told everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevHos

Cheers Cursai :)
    It just felt as though my privacy was ignored when they went about looking how to contact me.
    Well at least I can be happy to the fact they didn't call to my work
    and didn't give a reason why..

I have a problem with blokes that walk around with backpacks. I was behind a fella going into the Munster final last year and he was togged out like he was going to climb kilaminjaro with water bottles and grub etc.

KevHos wrote: »
    Cheers Cursai :)
    It just felt as though my privacy was ignored when they went about looking how to contact me.
    Well at least I can be happy to the fact they didn't call to my work
    and didn't give a reason why..
    No probs but think of the extra effort the garda went to get your potential
    bag back to you. He could have just logged it into the property book and waited for you to come for it. As most would do

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    Ah but u can see where the op is coming from!!
    Just explain it to your employer and clear it up.

I can see that people are whispering behind his back of course but thats people and chinese whispers. Why blame or even attempt to blame the poor Garda that was trying to help?

personally I do make a point of telling people in situations like this that its nothing serious / they arent in trouble or I just found his wallet, etc but then someone will probable complain about that as well....

I can see that people are whispering behind his back of course but thats people and chinese whispers. Why blame or even attempt to blame the poor Garda that was trying to help?

personally I do make a point of telling people in situations like this that its nothing serious / they arent in trouble or I just found his wallet, etc but then someone will probable complain about that as well....

Where are you stationed ERU?

I wasnt blaming the garda. I was emphatising with the ops situation.

But the thing that upset me ERU was why did the Guard not inform me that they contacted my work place looking for me..
    fair enough it was for a kind reason they didn't tell my employment about but are they allowed to obtain information on me behind my back as a victim of theft without informing me and contacting a place that has nothing to do with the situation/case they are dealing with?

What? What information? your shoe size? Your salary? What information did they seek? they were chasing you for 2 months man! they went to your place of work which YOU muct have given them and asked if you were there or if they could provide a contact number.

What super secret information did they torture out of your boss or release to your boss? Nothing!

So to answer your question, yes ANYONE can go to your workplace and ask to speak to you. Not a lot of business would be done otherwise.

Where are you stationed ERU?

hah good one, Want my shoulder number as well? You first. :)

But the thing that upset me ERU was why did the Guard not inform me that they contacted my work place looking for me..
    fair enough it was for a kind reason they didn't tell my employment about but are they allowed to obtain information on me behind my back as a victim of theft without informing me and contacting a place that has nothing to do with the situation/case they are dealing with?

The answer is yes and your heing unreasonable and ungrateful by pushing it like this. How else would they contact you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What? What information? your shoe size? Your salary? What information did they seek? they were chasing you for 2 months man! they went to your place of work which YOU muct have given them and asked if you were there or if they could provide a contact number.

What super secret information did they torture out of your boss or release to your boss? Nothing!

So to answer your question, yes ANYONE can go to your workplace and ask to speak to you. Not a lot of business would be done otherwise.

Agree comletely. Once all other avenues have been exhausted, its either your employer or your next of kin, and i'd prefer gardai calling to my workplace than to my next of kin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Op I think it is very important you contact the Garda and tell him how disappointed and ungrateful you are about his actions. At least then he can make sure he never goes out of his way to help you again. It's only fair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Original post removed by op.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement