Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Website Counter

Options
  • 01-04-2011 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all!

I am involved in publishing a series of internal web pages in work, which is revised every c.3 months. We currently manually edit the html code after to insert a web counter. The html simply tells the external site e.g. "site=6" and the external site returns a .jpeg picture of the counter....

Some concerns have been raised regarding the security of doing this, seeing as it is an internal site, and not for public consumption... so what's the best way of going about putting a counter on the sites that do not communicate with an external source.

I have full access to the source code of all of the web pages so that is not an issue. Would it be possible to use Google Analytics here?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Analytics should be fine, or alternatively you could use your own hosted solution such as mint

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What type of webserver do they run on? There are a few tools that can analyse the HTTP log files on the webserver and generate very rich reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭madarekrap

Thanks for the replies guys... Eoin how would I find that out? I have sent an email asking but that might take a few days so if there was a way I could do it myself it would be better?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You should be able to get more info by viewing the headers of the website. Most browsers have a developer plugin that allows you to see these. I used the web developer plugin for Chrome. The inbuilt Chrome one might also do this, but I couldn't find the option.

When I browsed to our intranet server, I got the following:
    Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:01:31 GMT
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    Content-Length: 4346
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    Content-Type: text/html

In my case, it's IIS, so I just need to google for "IIS log file analyser". If you're running Apache, then AWStats should do the trick for you.

Advertisement