Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to cycle with your kids in Dublin?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for advice on decent places to take young (5 & 7) kids cycling in or around Dublin. Can load the bikes onto the car rack and travel. Essentially it needs to be decent cycle paths that are not part of any road travelled by cars.

The only 2 places I could think of where the Phoenix Park which I have never cycled so I am unsure as to how appropriate, and the cycle path along the strand from Howth to Clontarf.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Also outside of Dublin are there any decent places that meet this criteria which would be worthy or a trip and an overnight in a B&B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There's a lovely amenity on the bohernabreena road in tallaght, down by the Glenasmole reservoir there. Nice and quiet, mostly flat, nice circuit. I take my kids there and walking or cycling it's a nice evening out.

Look up bohernabreena reservoir on google maps and it should autocomplete and find it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Shanganagh park in Shankhill is grand for kiddies cycling, it is relatively flat and has a deacent playground for getting the last of the madness out / providing motivation to get through the "my legs are tired" stage on the way back to the car, I and still amazed at how legs that are allegedly to tired to even walk can myteriously regenerate when a climbing frame comes into view!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I bring the kids cycling around Marlay Park, as it's very near the house. Lot's of younger kids on bikes there, but a shame they got rid of the BMX track. At 5 & 7, bring your runners and you can have a nice jog along side them. Pretty good playgrounds for the kids too and a market on Sundays.

When they're a couple of years older, Glengarrif national park is the brilliant for younger (and older) cyclists and well worth a long weekend. A bit hilly for 5 & 7 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

St Annes park Raheny is good too

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

The phoenix is pretty nice. I'd avoid the bike lane along Chesterfield Ave as it can be very busy. They have built a lot of new lanes that run right though the park. You'll probably get to spot a few deer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

If you are down there Lough Key Forest Park has some nice bike trails that are kid friendly.

My 5 and 9 year old girls were well able for them last summer. The 3 year old sat in her seat on the back and just shouted for us to go faster.

http://www.loughkey.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Grimpeur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

With kids the Phoenix park is ok. The cycle paths do not really form loops, but you can cycle along a stretch then cycle back. Theres the odd closed road too. Some of the dirt tracks are fine on a bike too. You could make your own loop by joining all the above up.

Outside of Dublin I'd love to try this (Newport-Mulranny Greenway)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65094245

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

there is a cycle lane through clonkeen park which then leads to kilbogget park where there is a playground. total distance about 2 miles each way. Probably not worth travelling a long distance to but perfect if you are close by. there is a river alongside most of it and plenty of grass. there is also a new wetlands area being developed at the cabinteely end so you coud do a bit of duck feeding..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    there is a cycle lane through clonkeen park which then leads to kilbogget park where there is a playground. total distance about 2 miles each way. Probably not worth travelling a long distance to but perfect if you are close by. there is a river alongside most of it and plenty of grass. there is also a new wetlands area being developed at the cabinteely end so you coud do a bit of duck feeding..

It's very nice indeed. Right behind my house as well. Boards family spin anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

fat bloke wrote: »
    There's a lovely amenity on the bohernabreena road in tallaght, down by the Glenasmole reservoir there. Nice and quiet, mostly flat, nice circuit. I take my kids there and walking or cycling it's a nice evening out.

Look up bohernabreena reservoir on google maps and it should autocomplete and find it for you.

Thanks for this suggestion, it's is just up the road from me and I never knew it was there. Sounds great and would suit me and my 5 and 7 year olds perfectly, is it "officially" open to the public or it supposed to be off limits? I've found it on Google maps but its not blindingly obvious how to get in, I'll take a trip up there on Friday and have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭G-Man

Its open regular "park" hours .i.e. close early in winter, dont know in summer but generally open. There is a small parking spot at the tallaght end, none at the east/wicklow end.

I might also add the recently upgraded grand canal path from inchicore out west under the M50 is quite popular too. Brings a safe observable view of the wild semi-industrial side of the city but the quality of the path is real good, there are other families out too. It does get quiet "samey" after one stretch though.

Memorial park alongside islandbridge also has the excellent war memorial, swans, boaters and a few loops up and down the hill.

For the younger cyclist, even Royal Hospital kilmainham might be enough.

Does Castletown house have reasonable paths in and around? Its a public park I think...

Oh yes, dont forget Carton house, private golf course, but gates wide open. Park in Maynooth village and head back up the avenue. It does have feckin annoying button speed ramps which really put you off cycling. When you are out that far, continue back down the the town, cycle around the old campus, or go along the canal towpath west.

Advertisement