Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheelie bin washing

Options
  • 31-03-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

As I know myself, from washing out my own brown and black bins, it's not the nicest job in the world. I'm sure there is plenty more out there like myself. I am considering setting up a business which will provide a wheelie bin cleaning service. On the same day your bin is collected you can have it washed out and deoderised leaving it like new for approximately €5 per bin. Basically I'm trying to find out if people in the Kildare area are interested in such a service. I know from personal experience for such a small fee if something like this was available in the past I would have used it. Feel free to comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I've had the same black wheelie bin for 6 years. It doesn't smell one bit and it has never been washed. Don't see the demand myself, although I have seen a van offering the service you describe around the estate before.

Maybe if other rubbish collection service providers offer brown bins (mine don't) then that might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

randleire wrote: »
    As I know myself, from washing out my own brown and black bins, it's not the nicest job in the world. I'm sure there is plenty more out there like myself. I am considering setting up a business which will provide a wheelie bin cleaning service. On the same day your bin is collected you can have it washed out and deoderised leaving it like new for approximately €5 per bin. Basically I'm trying to find out if people are interested in such a service. I know from personal experience for such a small fee if something like this was available in the past I would have used it. Feel free to comment.

I would certainly avail of your service if I ever needed it. I think the real question is not whether people would be interested in it (they will, as people will always be interested in having someone else do an unpleasant task for them for a fairly nominal fee). The real question is would you make any money at it.

Would you be doing it all yourself, or have people working with you on it? If you were doing it yourself you might get tired of it fairly quickly! All comes down to maths at the end of the day. If it took you 15 minutes to clean a bin, you'd be making about €20/hour (you'd probably need a break or two as you went along!). €20/hour x let's say a 40 hour week is €800/week....€3200/month. Not sure if you'd want to be doing it 40 hours a week though, meaning you'd be earning less than that - unless you had someone working with you (and you were paying them less, obviously). In which case you could make a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 theacc2006

i was involved in a wheelie bin cleaning company back in 2006. had a purpose built machine designed by a in clondalkin and made from stainless steel, so no rust, recycled the water, excellent system.cost around 15k to make and fits on the back of a flat bed van or pickup or trailer conversion.

the business itself is a cash business and requires you to call to areas on the day the collections are made. problem is that the bin owners are out at work and there is no one there to pay you. The only way for this to work is the a person to buy a tag in the shop, which means the business needs to pay the retailer 10% of ticket cost.

Not as easy as you might think, but on a cash business pays more the the dole. you also need to get a licence for a number of items. PM me if you want to know more,

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

I live in Kildare area and just changed bin service to a crowd called OZO.Apart from being cheaper from what I had one of their selling points was that their truck has a built in bin washer-I am only with them a few weeks so remains to be seen.
    There was certainly a requirement for bin washing last summer -Our brown bin had quite a collection of white worms-but its easy enough to hose out yourself-so I woulldn't see such a business as a big earner....and if the bin truck is doing it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

There is a few places doing this and the service itself can seem very popular. you would need to call to houses in the evening when the house holders are at home to see if they are interested. like the previous poster mentioned there is legal issues too. You need to take the dirty water and crap found in the bin away with you and this needs to be disposed off properly which will require a licence. then you need to have a large water tank to wash the bins or like the previous poster a machine to recycle the water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement