Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USD to EUR Exchange Rates

Options
  • 31-03-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am coming home from the US back to Ireland, and I have a lot of USD on me. Say if I had around $5000, does anyone know if it would be cheaper to exchange it in the US at my bank, or use my bank in Ireland?

Cheers,

Bonk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Moved from Economics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

It was 1.43 (.7) in bank of Ireland on Monday. You'll usually get a better rate in the county. Check with your bank and see what their rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's no hard and fast rule. If you went into a US bank they may not have enough Euros to convert the dollars and I have no idea if the US banks are capable of accepting an IBAN number in order to electronically transfer the money.

Given that there is a large amount of traffic between the US and Ireland you won't have any problem getting rid of that amount of dollars when you get back to Ireland. Your best bet would be to pick a day and on that day you walk into a large bank branch in the US and ask if it can be done and what the rate will be and on the same day get someone in Ireland to walk into a branch of a bank here and get their rates.

Probably the best way to do it would be to contact a US branch of one of the Irish banks and see if you can hand over the dollars in the US and get the money electronically transferred in Euros to your account in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭motherriley

I have got the opposit questions, and hope you do not mind me high
    jacking your thread. I want to know whcih is better to change euros when I am in US as opposed to change the currancy before I go to US for 2 weeks. :cool:

Advertisement