Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how not to respond to negative reviews

Options
  • 31-03-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Anyone else seen this blow up between a reviewer and an indie author named Jacqueline Howett? It is truely gob smacking to read her posts in the comments section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Wow. That's all I can say. How to bury yourself in crap so deep there is no way out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't help feeling she'll still sell more copies now than she would have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I can't help feeling she'll still sell more copies now than she would have before.

I thought the same when I first saw someone posting about this on facebook....I thought maybe it was just her trying to be clever and get more attention. Saying that I think she took it just a step too far with her comments on the blog esp when she started just posting F you replies.

I would have wondered that, except that her comments were so badly written, they would put me off buying the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I agree. You'd think if she is going to make the point that the grammar/spelling is fine, then she would at least check what she is going to post.

Really bad....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I doubt a single one of the commenters had ever heard of the book before or had any intention of buying it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

EileenG wrote: »
    I would have wondered that, except that her comments were so badly written, they would put me off buying the book.

Indeed. In one post in which she repeatedly insists her writing is fine, she writes, annoymous, preffered, discusting, Your the target and numerous other grammatical errors. I know that even the best writers will make mistakes sometimes but to make so many in a post where she is specifically defending her grammar and spelling suggests that she is very weak in this area. I doubt it would make many people want to read her book unless it was at least proofed by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

I have a lot posted on the internet that I am not capable of editing any longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

What boggles me, is that the review itself was very mild. Okay, no writer wants to be told after their work comes out that there are grammatical errors and their sentence structure needs work, but she really should have checked that beforehand. He admired the story and phrased his criticisms nicely.

If she'd just kept her mouth shut this would have all sunk without trace.

True. Screaming because a review said the story is good, but the grammar is distracting, is being silly. I've had reviews tell me much worse things, and I sucked it up and tried to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

well this is one strategy to get noticed ... anybody want to try it out and tell us how ye get on??

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Jeez...what not to do with a reviewer and the whole blog took off like wildfire. It's times like these that the internet can be terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

That's how I respond to all my reviews.

Good or bad.

Advertisement