Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Historical Daggers

Options
  • 31-03-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Has any collectors imported any daggers or bayonets recently? If so how did it go with customs? I'm thinking of buying some stuff from a dealer in the us including an SA Dagger and would be v upset if customs seized it as they are pricey enough?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fredrick wrote: »
    Has any collectors imported any daggers or bayonets recently? If so how did it go with customs? I'm thinking of buying some stuff from a dealer in the us including an SA Dagger and would be v upset if customs seized it as they are pricey enough?

Thanks.

I have imported and exported SA Daggers a couple of times.

First time importing from Canada got stung for I believe 25%-35% of the declared value in Tax. Despite it being an antique. My advice, label it at a lower value marked as 'Gift'.

The downside is if it goes missing in the post (and presuming you are getting it sent registered/insured) then you are only insured up to the declared value.

Also, as I recall the IBAN payment (EU to Canada) went through an intermediary bank which took a slice out of it. My bank sent the full amount, the bank in canada recieved the full amount minus a certain amount (€40-€50 or so). After a lot of looking into it discovered where it had gone to.

IBAN eu to eu is basically flawless - to NA or Canada can be a different story.

I do not know if import legislation, rules or practices have changed recently.

My imports were a couple of years ago and went more or less ok aside form the above. From speaking to other collectors I am told that thesedays it is a total lottery - if it gets stopped it gets confiscated, no fines no nothing just destroyed. I can't say how accurate this is but I'd say there is some truth to it.

Exporting:
    I once went to the post office to ask about exporting one and was told by an employee and his supervisor 'That's a weapon you can't send it through the post'. Full stop. They said you have to use UPS - UPS were quoting something like €70 to send one SA Dagger sized box within europe.

I got a leaflet which outlined what you could and could not send through the post and which does not mention daggers anywhere - but this was to no avail. In the end I went to a post office up the road and mailed it from there without problems. It arrived safe and sound. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and you'd need a welding torch to open the box there was that much insulating tape wrapped around it. One factor to consider is the country where it is coming from/being sent to. It can also hit problems there, ie the sender sends it - it gets confiscated in his home country. I believe finland for example is a difficult place to send to /recieve from.

One thing I was told by another collector was to mark it 'Wall Decoration' when exporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Btw - there are a lot of things to check about SA Daggers. The grain on the blade should be clear, the blade should never have been polished/cleaned. The handle and parts should be a good fit, screws on the scabbard never opened etc - often several damaged ones are cannibalised to create a new one and this decreases the worth. It might be good to post some close up photos or get a second opinion if you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Thanks for that Morlar lots of good info in your posts, I think I might look somewhere closer to home so, they have a huge selection of everything in the US don't wanna risk it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

You should be able to pick one of these up from the U.K still quite easily.It's been around a year since I last bought a bayonet and that was sent from the U.S which came through no problems however everyone now over there has to declare what they are sending and the value which is putting things in a much higher postage bracket than before.Certain items are classed as antiques and customs charge acorrdingly.The postage from Canada and America now is daylight robbery.

Ok will have a look, thanks Arnhem44.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

its all about whats on the decloration form, I seen one story of a guy sending a bayonet as a kitchen Utensil, if they open it and find a old rusty bayonet though you might not be given benifit of the doubt.

also I'd say the customs officer would have a good story of a "Nazi bread Knife"

Mousey- wrote: »
    its all about whats on the decloration form, I seen one story of a guy sending a bayonet as a kitchen Utensil, if they open it and find a old rusty bayonet though you might not be given benifit of the doubt.

also I'd say the customs officer would have a good story of a "Nazi bread Knife"

Ta Mousey.

Advertisement