Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail 3.6

Options
  • 31-03-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi,

For ages now I have been unable to send any mail via my mail application on my G5. All along I have got by but just using mobile me to write the emails in and send from there. However I would much prefer to resolve whatever the hell is preventing me sending mail. I have no issues receiving mail in Mail but nothing sends.

When I do attempt to send a mail I get the following error message,

'cannot send message using the server smtp.mac.com:username

The connection to the server “smtp.mac.com” on port 143 timed out.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be delivered.'

Has anyone any ideas or help that might sort this out. It would be very much appreciated if you do.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Hi TM,

Are you with Eircom.
    If so then use mail1.eircom.net for your outgoing.
    Thats what I always use,no problems!

IM

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

Hi IM,

I am with a local provider here in Tipperary. I probably should get on to them then to see what I need to set it at.

Cheers for the heads up.

Mike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume this is an old @mac.com email address that you have, OP? Are your outgoing server settings and username/password definitely right?

Hi Sad,

Thanks for the reply. It is an address I have since 2006 or so , I suspect that is what you have in mind as old.

I just assumed the settings and password were right but I might go check that out for sure now.

Mike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, I say old because @mac is gone now and has been replaced by @me.com. Although if you've had the address since then, the @mac settings should still work.

• Advertisement

Cheers again Sad,

I got it sorted. Not rightly sure what fixed it as I did two things. First, I made sure the password was correct and secondly I unclicked Port 143 in the settings and opted to use the option that appeared above that. I think it said something like 'normal ports' and then listed a few of them. I actually can't find my way back to what I did now but I just sent a mail from there for the first time in yonks.

Soon as I get a reply I will be sure but it went anyway.

Thanks a million

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Hi TM,

Yep, my first port of call would be to get on to them.
    They'll give you their outgoing mail server settings and that should sort it out.

IM

Advertisement