Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross Winds

• 31-03-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

I came in against the wind today - no real problems when the wind was directly against me. Very slow of course.

However, there is one 2-3km stretch where the wind was from the side. I found the bike quite tricky to control. Fortunately the wind was trying to blow me off the road and onto a grass verge. On the way home it will tend to move me out into the middle of the road towards the cars. I tend to stop pedalling when a gust moves me sideways but I'm not sure whether this a good idea or not.

What do people do to cope with these types of strong gusts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Use the drops. Keep pedalling.

Due to countersteering effects the wind actually blows you towards itself. If you don't believe me, take your hands off the bars. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Crazy Dutch with their euro-dance music and training in redonkulous cross winds....

+1 on the keep pedalling, the instinct is to slow down but that can actually see you blown around more than if you try to keep your pace up

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

What do people do to cope with these types of strong gusts?

I got whipped out in front of traffic this morning - the wind coming in from the sea at the coast road in Dun Laoghaire was fairly potent to say the least. My coping mechanism was to jump on the brakes, steer towards the pavement and hope for the best. Thankfully the motorists on the road at the time were giving me plenty of room. It was no fun whatsoever and a very draining commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

This morning was the one and only time the gale force wind was on my back and not a head wind, it was like being on a conveyer belt at times :)

For the cross winds watch out for T junctions surrounded by buildings; they seem to act like wind tunnels

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very blowy up by Marlay park early this morning. Got hit by a blackbird, which went into my front light and left it pointing up into my face. Didn't know what the fcuk was going on for a few moments, but just about managed to stay upright. Very bizarre, left me totally spooked for the rest of the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I have found the drops are better due to (i) lower profile & (ii) better steering/braking.

As regards the "keep pedalling" advice, it reminds when I used to do a lot of kayaking - the most stable way to get through a section of rough water was to keep padelling. I'll try to keep the legs moving on the way home - although this is probably tricky in a gust because my natural reaction to danger on the bike is to slow down

Has anyone a view on cadence in a cross-wind? I feel more comfortable with a higher than usual cadence.

I'll have to take Lumen's word regarding the net effect of the wind. If I took my hands off the bars this morning I would have been on my a$$ immediately :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Has anyone a view on cadence in a cross-wind? I feel more comfortable with a higher than usual cadence.

Lower, I'd say. You can sort of steer the bike with your pedal strokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

the wind is supposed to change from westerly to southerly later on.

Advertisement