Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get seatbelt fitted for campervan?

Options
  • 31-03-2011 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,
    Just wondering could anyone help out, we have recently purchased a campervan which needs 2 seatbelts fitted in the back with headrests on the rear facing seats. Does anyone know of a reputable fitter in the north west of Ireland?
    Thanks,
    Nicolag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

You could try Donagheys in Letterkenny.

EDIT no connection, and I did not buy from them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nicolag

Thanks, Yes I have tried there but they are not sure will they be able to do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Can you post a pic of the seats you want belts fitted to? Have you got the belts for it?

Normal inertia seat belts won't work, so you'll need lap belts if they are rear facing.

I might be able to help you out, but it depends on the belts and the seats themselves.

Post some pics.

Hi,

Sorry for late reply, attached is the picture of the seats requiring seatbelts, not great quality, hope you can make it out!

Do you think it would be possible to fit full belts?? If not lap ones would be fine. Which seatbelt brand would you buy and where would you purchase them??

Thanks a million,

Nicolag

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

I'm no expert but I dont see how you could fit two 3-point seat belts without installing some sort of a frame that would be welded to the chassis. So the seat would have to be taken out, the frame fitted and the seats refitted to allow for the frame. Not a simple job! I'm also not sure if standard 3-point belts work when rear facing or if there is a seperate design for rear-facing (I suspect the latter).

Lap belts on the other hand would be a much easier proposition. In my van it is simply a bracket that is bolted to the front seat. I'll try to post a pic later. Mine was a factory fit so the brand on the bracket is Dethleffs so that probably isn't much help to you.

Check out

http://www.securon.co.uk/

http://www.gotbelts.com/

These guys could do it but unless you are planning a trip to London! Anyway, their pictures may be useful
    http://www.seatbeltservice.co.uk/gallery-camper-vans.htm

WildWater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

WildWater wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I dont see how you could fit two 3-point seat belts without installing some sort of a frame that would be welded to the chassis. So the seat would have to be taken out, the frame fitted and the seats refitted to allow for the frame. Not a simple job! I'm also not sure if standard 3-point belts work when rear facing or if there is a seperate design for rear-facing (I suspect the latter).
    Again, not an expert, but I believe the theory is that the 3rd point/ over the shoulder belt is to stop forward momentum, and therefore isn't required for rear facing seats and a lap belt is enough. I can see the logic of that, but I always felt then you're back to the strength of the seat resisting the force.

However, not too many child seats work with just lap belts, which is another possible issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

In the North East, Ardee Coach Trim do this type of work (041-6853599).

Thanks a million for all your advice, its a great help,
    Nicolag

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Your looking at a min of 1200 for retro fitting seatbelts to a camper. That's what I was quoted. They have to build a frame and attach to the sub frame.

Also check with the insurance company before you start.

I did read on Google somewhere that you should walk away from your dream Motorhome if it does not have the right number of seatbelts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

garyh3 wrote: »
    Your looking at a min of 1200 for retro fitting seatbelts to a camper. That's what I was quoted. They have to build a frame and attach to the sub frame.

Also check with the insurance company before you start.

I did read on Google somewhere that you should walk away from your dream Motorhome if it does not have the right number of seatbelts.

That thread is 4 years old. I hope they are sorted by now.

my Dream MH would definitely have the required amount of seatbelts!!

• Advertisement

Hi Kol

Just wanted people to be aware of the seatbelt thing as this post is on top of google search.

There are so many out there still with only 4 seatbelts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

garyh3 wrote: »
    Hi Kol

Just wanted people to be aware of the seatbelt thing as this post is on top of google search.

There are so many out there still with only 4 seatbelts

It has come up on another recent thread. Aidan mentioned that you will not find many people willing to install additional belts due to safety requirements and lack of proper approval for retro fitted installations. Its a real grey area and I would not jeopardise a passenger by installing a belt setup that was not adequately tested or approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pedro500

Motability Ireland in Ashbourne fitted 4 rear seatbelts for my motorhome, did a good job and were reasonable too, that was back in 2008, they may be worth a try for anyone on the lookout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

pedro500 wrote: »
    Motability Ireland in Ashbourne fitted 4 rear seatbelts for my motorhome, did a good job and were reasonable too, that was back in 2008, they may be worth a try for anyone on the lookout.

For sake of posterity:
    what kind of vehicle
    was it lap belts or 3 point belts
    any fabrication involved or was it just drilling and fitting spreader plates
    approx what did it cost

moodrater wrote: »
    For sake of posterity:
    what kind of vehicle
    was it lap belts or 3 point belts
    any fabrication involved or was it just drilling and fitting spreader plates
    approx what did it cost

There were no rear belts in my Granduca Pegaso 63 when I bought it so one of the first things I did was fit these for my boys.
    These were 4 second hand lap belts fitted to a 1998 Ducato Base with no additional fabrication, just drilling and plates.
    I think they were around 300euro all in at the time, not 100% on that.
    Certainly felt safer travelling afterwards and hope this is of some use.

pedro500 wrote: »
    There were no rear belts in my Granduca Pegaso 63 when I bought it so one of the first things I did was fit these for my boys.
    These were 4 second hand lap belts fitted to a 1998 Ducato Base with no additional fabrication, just drilling and plates.
    I think they were around 300euro all in at the time, not 100% on that.
    Certainly felt safer travelling afterwards and hope this is of some use.

I Didn't think you could have passengers travelling in the rear of the Motorhome (the ones that have the u-shape with a table ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Field east

My MH is a 1994 talbot express built by Autohomes. Had only two seats fitted with belts - drivers and front passengers. Got two three point and quick release seats fitted onto rails in the aisle .am very happy with them. Find details , with photos, on www. Talbotoc.com. Go to 'technical'. Then go to'bodywork/glass'. Last entry on the topic 'seatbelt in MH was made on 6th Oct 2014

Hi Garyh3
    I didn't fit them in the U lounge, couldn't even if I wanted to as no grounds back there.
    They are at the centre dining table. 2 lap belts facing the rear & 2 x 3 point ones facing forward as there was already a steel frame around the bench seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 woodenwonder

So it's still not w good idea to retro fit seat belts??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

holy thread revival. what is the story with retro fitting seatbelts - there are a few vans in and around my price point, but they all seem to have lap belts, which are no good for a car seat. Alternatively, could lapbelts work with a child seat facing backwards? (child seat dependant)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

lennymc wrote: »
    holy thread revival. what is the story with retro fitting seatbelts - there are a few vans in and around my price point, but they all seem to have lap belts, which are no good for a car seat. Alternatively, could lapbelts work with a child seat facing backwards? (child seat dependant)

Britax do seats for lapbelt, if the cushions are thick I'd be concerned about it tipping through compression of the cushions though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Britax-Eclipse-Group-Seat-Black/dp/B00694VS2A

Advertisement