Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corona rear Tail Lights

Options
  • 30-03-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

My elderly neighbour has a 92 Toyota Corona Diesel (jap import). The car failed the nct as the rear lens were not bright enough. I was wondering if anybody knew where he could get a set of rear tail light. having no joy on the net. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think, (not 100%) that the fittings on them are the same as used for the Carina of around that same age, here's a link to some...

http://www.micksgarage.ie/carspec.aspx?&deptid=299&make=Toyota&model=Carina E 1992-1998&basemodel=&year=&engine=&petroldiesel=&mode=drilldown

Cosmetically they may not match 100% with the reflective strip of lights ont he rear of the car but will be fine to pass the NCT.

It will be near impossible to get Corona specific lights new, a scrapyard would be your next option.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yep, Carina II (or possibly Carina E) is a rebadged Corona, per Wikipedia. From first paragraph:
    The Toyota Carina line of large family cars was introduced in Japan in 1970. This was introduced in Europe in 1971, with A40 and A60 series subsequently appearing soon after their introductions in Japan. In 1984, the A60 series Carina was replaced in the European market by the "Carina II" - essentially a rebranding of the T150 series Toyota Corona launched the previous year in Japan, with some minor alterations to suit the European markets. This trend of Coronas rebadged as Carinas produced for the European market continued for two more generations, with the second Carina II in 1988 and the Carina E in 1992.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Could be that you need to t cut the lenses, or the bulbs aren't getting enough power.
    Units are interchangable with carina e, some coronas have a one piece panel on the boot door with the number plate on the bumper, but most are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

Hi guys thanks for all the replies. I made a mistake its a 92 jap import corolla and not corona:o.

they're interchangable alright, but the Japanese ones are a darker shade of red/amber so the centre bit on the boot won't match. probably not an issue....

COROLLA004R.JPG
    220px-Toyota_Corolla_E100_rear.jpg

Again, check that the bulbs are bright enough before replacing the lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You probably have thought of this but are you sure it's the correct bulb?
    Check against the other just to make sure.
    Look for rust in sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

Carina II or Carina e

If his car is like this get Carina II parts
    250px-88-92_Corolla.jpg

if its this shape he needs Carina e parts
    http://images02.olx.com.ph/ui/4/19/94/66691594_1-Pictures-of-1993-toyota-corona-ex-saloon.jpg

I owned an 89 carina II and actually got a tail light and head light from a broken corona. You can unscrew the light fitting and take out the bulbs and fit the new one.

micksgarage.ie is your best bet.

I recently replaced two tail lights on a 96 corolla e101 16valve. 35 euro a light and it came with all the bulbs in place and the cable to run to the main connection in the boot. Very good prices on very good parts.

There are actually entire factories in tawain that make replica toyota spares. There are that many old corolla, carina, starlet cars still running!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

The bulbs are grand. It appears to be the lens that have turned darker shade with age. The brake lights are grand its the parking lights, there would be more light of a sacred heart lamp. The lens have been washed out but has not made much of a difference. Thanks again for all the replys

Most likely soot from the exhaust, wet sand the lenses then t cut then polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

is there a specific name for that lense on the boot?
    mine has corona written on it and makes up part of the 4 tail lights.

and is it possible to add lights to it?
    i saw a 323f mod to add lights in it and was thinking it would be a good place to retrofit some fog lights rather than those nasty bumper ones.

It's just called a lamp assembly

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_1992_TOYOTA_CORONA_CT190-AEPNS_8111.html

Looks like there could be lights in there alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I thought this is what the op was on about....
    5998800160_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

dgt wrote: »
    I thought this is what the op was on about....
    they were, but i didnt think a whole new thread was needed for it as it started with talking about coronas

Advertisement