Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get a frame sand blasted?

Options
  • 30-03-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, im giving the aul fixie a new look, looking to get it sand blasted and resprayed in garage after,

anyway has anyone ever got a frame sand blasted to remove the paint?

If so what were the results like?
    where did you get it done and how much did it cost??

Cheers Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Where are you based?

Make sure you do a bit of research on this, sandblasting can be very harsh and it can be hard to get a good finish on the metal afterwards.

I think sand isn't even used anymore, there is different types of blasting media for different jobs/materials.

Make sure you give it to someone who has done bikes or delicate work before.

You could always go the powdercoating route instead of paint aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave_Geoghegan

Thanks for the reply dude,

You know any others ways of successfully removing all the paint,

Ive done a vintage raleigh road bike before using the old fashioned scrapper and elbow grease but my god it took alot of time and it wasnt what id call a great result, bits of paint left in hard to get areas etc etc,

Cheers Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I know a few lad that have refurbed car wheels and they used Nitromors to remove the old paint.

This crowd may be some help!

http://www.tallaghtpowdercoating.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Aldi and Lidl often sell small sand blasting sets, a friend of mine has refurbed a couple of old motor bikes using one of these. Aluminium Oxide is the best medium for this type of work.

Cheers murph, dropped them lads an email!

• Advertisement

macnab, ill keep an eye out for them kits,

Cheers Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Places that do Headstones usually sandblast, if there is one nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

do not sandblast alu it will leave it pitted and rought to the touch.Get that arm out and a tin of nitromorse bit o elbow grease!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Nitromors has been used round these parts successfully (niceonetom did a great job on his cannondale iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Forget Nitromors, Strypit is what you want.
    Warning, extremely powerful sh1t. Do not take shortcuts with safety gear, cover all skin, safety goggles, proper gloves etc.
    And re the sand blasting kits in Aldi/Lidl, they are air powered, so you have to buy the compressor etc - so not economical for one job - and like most of their stuff is cheapo sh1te that won't last.

• Advertisement

do not sandblast alu it will leave it pitted and rought to the touch.Get that arm out and a tin of nitromorse bit o elbow grease!

it should be OK if you use fine Aluminium Oxide, that leaves a nice smooth finish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nitromors does the job well IMO
    macnab wrote: »
    it should be OK if you use fine Aluminium Oxide, that leaves a nice smooth finish.

Is aluminium Oxide not just aluminums form of rust? It is pretty tough though and does look pretty, but it could chip off and weaken the frame eventually. If you want you could polish it up with ACF-50 and reapply it once a year. Not my area of expertise though so I could be wrong.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nitromors does the job well IMO

Is aluminium Oxide not just aluminums form of rust? It is pretty tough though and does look pretty, but it could chip off and weaken the frame eventually. If you want you could polish it up with ACF-50 and reapply it once a year. Not my area of expertise though so I could be wrong.

Sorry I was a bit vague there. Aluminium Oxide is a type of grit or abrasive used to sand blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

why take the paint off leave it as a base, just sand it back smooth with very fine wet/dry sandpaper ,i have yet to see a panalbeater strip a car before respraying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Dave

I had this done on a few occasions years ago.

Brought the frame to the shop that sells headstones, they sand blasted it for me

Had it resprayed in a local garage when they were respraying a car door, the also kindly baked and cured it for me.

That was few years ago and it cost me £20 back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

gman2k wrote: »
    Forget Nitromors, Strypit is what you want.

Anything to back this up?

Nitromors and Strypit both (used to at least) use the same active ingredient, Dichloromethane.

The nannys in the EU may have banned it in consumer goods but I'd imagine both companies moved to very similar (if less effective) formulae for their respective brands.

Anything to back this up?

Yeah, my word.
    I've used both and Strypit works better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Where in Dublin can you get strypit?

J Madone wrote: »
    Where in Dublin can you get strypit?

Any good hardware store/ paint shop, maybe even B&Q

Advertisement