Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music practicals in a week and I haven't picked any songs yet, HELP!

Options
  • 30-03-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I do music out side of school, so i wasnt up to date on when the practicals were, the teacher said as soon as she knew she would tell me, but never did and now im completly ****ed in every way...

I play drums and i have to pick 6 songs from different genres and its really ****ing hard to find something really difficult enough to play to impressive the examiner.

As if this didnt suck enough, the music teacher told me the examiner is a really old woman who really hates rock and metal and i shouldnt play any of that, not even for 1 song.. so thats awesome....
    and also each songs has to be 2 mins long and i have no idea how to edit songs to make them shorter... which again makes everything even better! :D

wtf am i gonna do?!?!?!?

Comments

I don't think I played any songs that I particularly liked, but they were beats I enjoyed playing. You can easily avoid rock if you want.

Try a bossa nova piece, take a song like girl from ipanema or something and you can use it to improvise a lot of nice bossa nova beats, which are easy to fit in around a song like that and can seem impressive.

Jazz is another good one for not needing to stick to how a song was recorded. Do your own thing, fit in all the stuff you're already comfortable with, and impress with fills and dynamic/tempo changes. Use rods or brushes for this though.

I (embarassingly enough) did a Kelly Clarkson piece. I absolutely hate the music but it was a way of adding some of the rock beats I knew into a song that wouldn't "offend" the examiners.

Can't remember what my fourth piece was, if I do I'll get back to you, but anyway I did 4 pieces + sibelius so I don't think I was expected to have as high a difficulty of pieces as someone doing 6 pieces like you would be. But there's plenty of stuff out there.

You could try some reggae beats, the quick funk-like type, or salsa/latin beats also. If you let us know what kind of stuff you can play other than metal I'm sure the lads and ladies here could give lots of suggestions.

Good luck :)

Just remembered, my last piece was Valerie (the Amy Winehouse version) but I added in a lot extra to it as the way it's recorded only really has a nice groove, not many fills so I filled it out a bit and improvised around the main groove.

Advertisement