Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom P-660HW-T1 v3 router and file sharing between MBP and iMac

Options
  • 30-03-2011 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

eircom just replaced my 2247 nwg netopia router with a P-660HW-T1 v3 zyxel and since then I've been unable to file share/screen share between my 2 Macs. Anyone here any experience of getting around this please?
    As you can see the iMac is not visable in Finder on the MBP and th same from the iMac's perspective.
    Nothing has changed on either Mac.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's obviously a problem with the router. Try setting the firewall on it to low.

But I've a friend who switched to Eircom recently and he's been giving out hell about the router they gave him. It's probably the same one. I think he ended up replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I guessed as much. I know someone else who has one of these routers and they recently moved from eircom to vodafone. Their router allows the changes to be made but the router keeps defaulting back to the eircom setings - surely not an accident. Wonder is there a firmware fix for this?

I've now posted on the talk to eircom forum

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Im not an expert on networking but in my experience, the zyxel router appears to have a custom eircom firmware flashed onto it that messes up sharing/LAN stuff. Even with all security turned off on the zyxel, I couldnt get every device on my network to communicate. The older netopia works perfectly as OP said. Personally, I have turned off the wireless on the zyxel (bridge mode) and hooked it upto a netgear wifi router. Sharing works perfectly again.

I've been on to eircom on the phone a few times now since Friday. It looks like the firmware is custom for eircom and LAN stuff seems to be VERY basic and windows only seems to work.

I'm thinking f getting an Airport Extreme now as also getting Apple TV soon so guessing that won't work with this zyxel device. Apple have some refurb on the site at the moment. What are the differences between the current model and the oct 2009 one or april 2009 one they have in refurb?

Thanks for assistance on this

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

I'm thinking f getting an Airport Extreme now as also getting Apple TV soon so guessing that won't work with this zyxel device...

Ya I have an airport express (for music streaming) and atv2 which I cudnt get to work with the zyxel as a wifi router.

• Advertisement

smtdos wrote: »
    Ya I have an airport express (for music streaming) and atv2 which I cudnt get to work with the zyxel as a wifi router.

maybe if eircom hear of all the Mac users being bothered by this (and the expense of buying new routers) they will get zyxel to hurry up the firmware on this device.

Advertisement