Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance Queries

Options
  • 30-03-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Question, does travel insurance cover for problems with DIY holidays, specificly if I book an apartment with the owner and pay by IBAN rather than Credit Card, and the accomodation isn't availiable for any reason, double booked, gone bust etc. does the insurance cover for loss

Also anyone have any other words of wisdom about travel insurance for DIY arrangers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

OK some further details, spoke to Axa they don't cover curtailment if the hotel goes bust, burns down or whatever but brings me to another question

IBAN v Credit Card, as is common with a lot of businesses in Switzerland and Austria, Austria want payment via IBAN, I know that if I paid by Credit Card that there are some safeguards about not recieving goods or services but what is the situation with IBAN, are there any safeguards or is it, as I suspect, just a transfer of funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Nothing really with IBAN. It is just a transfer of funds from you to another account. When you pay for something with a credit card the money is going to a business or a person thats agree to the issuers (visa, mastercard) terms and a refund is easier to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

IBAN is the same as handing over cash, the only way to get a refund is if the service supplier chooses to give you your money back, the bank cannot extract the money from his a/c and give it back to you so they will not entertain any submissions from you to the effect that the service or goods were not delivered, not their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

As I suspected Thanks for the input

Advertisement