Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural hoofe care-trimming

Options
  • 30-03-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

does anybody now somebody (Cork area) who does a good trimming ?

I'm thinking about something like natural hoof care, i also learned a lot about it, but my back is killing me, cant take care of my horse hoofs anymore:(

should be a "nice guy", my mare is lil bitchy (not aggressive), and dont want to get her hit or something.

Can u suggest somebody? please let me know ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

any good farrier should be able to trim your horses.
    if your horses will be in regular work, then barefoot probably wont work. the wet irish climate makes hooves too soft to stand up to regular work without shoes. my advice, consult your farrier.
    i'm in the north cork area, if you need someone to recommend a farrier, PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Hi, i'm not in the cork area but while doing research of my own looking for a barefoot or natural trimmer i came across the name of a master farrier who also does barefoot trims who is based in cork, he is on the irish master farriers website www.irishfarriers.com, TJ Whelan is his name. His contact details are on there. My horse is barefoot and even after being in a wet field all winter his feet are in great shape, my farrier remarked just last week when i had him done that he has very hard hooves. I am planning on getting him some hoof boots also, as he is still a little tender on stones and gravel. I also supplement him with brewers yeast as it's very high in b vitamins which you need for good strong hooves. Just remember it can take time for them to "transition" if they're used to wearing shoes. Good luck anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Thank you soooooo much!

You really really helped me a lot!

THANKS THANKS THANKS:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Oh you're very welcome. There's absolutely tons of information on the internet about keeping horses barefoot if you need to know more. Just do a search, theres loads of websites about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

rosiejosie wrote: »
    Hi, i'm not in the cork area but while doing research of my own looking for a barefoot or natural trimmer i came across the name of a master farrier who also does barefoot trims who is based in cork, he is on the irish master farriers website www.irishfarriers.com, TJ Whelan is his name. His contact details are on there. My horse is barefoot and even after being in a wet field all winter his feet are in great shape, my farrier remarked just last week when i had him done that he has very hard hooves. I am planning on getting him some hoof boots also, as he is still a little tender on stones and gravel. I also supplement him with brewers yeast as it's very high in b vitamins which you need for good strong hooves. Just remember it can take time for them to "transition" if they're used to wearing shoes. Good luck anyway :)

its probably not a good idea to go posting peoples names on a public forum without their permission, best keep details like that to PMs

• Advertisement

rosiejosie wrote: »
    Oh you're very welcome. There's absolutely tons of information on the internet about keeping horses barefoot if you need to know more. Just do a search, theres loads of websites about it ;)

I do know most of the staff and learned it (how to do).
    but I cant do it anymore (my back is really killing me), and to give somebody instructions would be weird, wouldn't it?

So I'll give him a call this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Just explain what you want done and leave it to the farrier . Dont try and tell him how to do his job .;) Its not for noting he has studied for four years learning his trade .

thats what I'm saying right? :D
    so thats the reason why I ask you, so that nobody gets "annoyed" in any way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

What is wrong with your horses hoofes , What are you looking by way of natural hoofe care trimming.

Advertisement