Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chain repair

• 30-03-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

i was changing the rear derailleur on my racer and when i went to open the chain to run tru the derailleur i put the chain tool onto the chain but pushed the pin all the way out by mistake.

is there a way or getting this back in or do i need a new chain?

any comments greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

It can be put back in with the chain tool, just is a pain in the ass to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a pain in the ass to do. Just pop that link off and use the next one. Your chain will be a little shorter than it should be, but you should be fine. Just remember when you're replacing the the chain that you need the new to be two links longer.

You could also get an SRAM powerlink or a shimano chain pin to replace the missing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

ok lads thanks ill give it a go with the missing link and see what happens. just hope i dont make the same mistake again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Take the chain off the bike and lay it on a bench/table.
    Put the two ends of the chain together.
    Hold the pin with a "Pointy Nose Pliars".
    "Gently" tap the pin in with a hammer about 1/3 of the way.
    now "gently" pull/twist the chain apart and refit onto the bike.
    Use a chain breaker to push the pin back in.

I've done this on many occasions...not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

Its not best practice and is not recommended by chain manufacturers to reuse a pin once it has been pushed out. You can easily buy a new pin as Seamus says.
    It would always be on my mind that it could go any time, not worth the risk.
    For future reference - if your just changing the deraileur you can take out the two jockey wheels and leave the chain in place. Do the reverse when fitting the new deraileur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

lads could i ask how often is it recommended to clean your chain and how do you do it im new to this game as you can tell:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As often as it needs it. :D

Depends on how much riding you do and what kind of weather you're riding in. If you're riding every day in fine conditions like we've had for most of March, you'd get away with using a light chain lube once every two weeks. You wouldn't need to clean it for about 500km.

In wet weather you'd want to wipe it down and re-lube it every 200km, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd say you can reuse pins safely up to 7 speed (I have with no issues.) 9 and 10 speed, certainly not. 8 speed I am not sure, I don't have anything 8 speed.

Advertisement