Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Insurance

Options
  • 30-03-2011 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭

My university has just bought me a nice shiny new laptop! Since it was not bought by me, is it possible for me to insure it? The university has insurance but the excess is so high as to make it next to useless. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

You could try getting a regular contents policy and adding the laptop on All Risks. Provided that said laptop is not being used for commercial/business use.

I know I've underwritten policies for Home Contents to people where one of the kids would have been a member of the National Youth Orchestra and they would have rather expensive Musical Instruments in the €3k region 'On Loan' from the Orchestra.

Basically, the property is in their care even though they don't own it but they had an 'Insurable Interest'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

thanks for your reply. I have emailed the insurance company and they have said that if I get a statement off the Uni about the loan of the laptop then I can insure it. lost the last one in a fire so keen to make sure this one is insured against all eventualities!

Advertisement