Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing .smil files using realplayer on Mac

Options
  • 30-03-2011 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ive an odd problem on the browsers on the mac when I try to play .smil files through websites - specifically trying to listen to rte radio stations through their websites on Chrome.

At first it said I had to have real player installed so I did that. Then when I closed everything and restarted, the play, stop, pause buttons were greyed out on the rte site where you'd expect to control the playback. Its the same on Safari. If I copy and paste the direct URL of the smil file into the address bar, it opens a black page that has the quicktime Q at the centre with a question mark over it.

If I open the rte sites through the browser on real player directly though, they play just fine. If I save the .smil file to the desktop, real player opens it and it plays fine.

Is there any way to get chrome to play the smil file easily via real player?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i thought all the rte players were flash? Couldnt you just download the file and open it via realplayer? oops - just seen you mentioned that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Real Player is a useless piece of crap, I wouldn't waste my time with it. RTE offer a Windows Media stream of their radio stations as well. Try using that instead.

Advertisement