Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***EIRTAKON 2011 - 11th - 13th November***

Options
  • 29-03-2011 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

The dates for Eirtakon 2011 - Ireland's biggest anime convention - were recently announced. This year, it will be taking place on the weekend of 11th - 13th November. Pre-registration is already open, at a discounted price of E20 so it's time to get thinking about your attendance plans once again!
    garland_logo.png

For those of you who don't know what Eirtakon is, or are thinking of attending for the first time, check out the site here. It'll give you all the information you need and they have an awesome forum for all your con queries and general chat.

The 7th year of Ireland's largest and longest-running anime convention will take place once again in The Helix, a purpose-built event venue 10 minutes from the centre of Dublin. Eirtakon was first held in The Helix in 2010 and proved to be a massive success; with 2011 the committee has secured use of the entire venue for the full weekend - guaranteeing this year to be the biggest anime event ever seen in Ireland!

So there ya go! Loads more info to be announced over the coming months of course, and we'll try and have a more successful forum meet up at it this year too ;)

PRE-REG HERE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Whoop thanks Konata for the thread :D

For everyone who probably doesn't know, I'm the PR-type person for Eirtakon so if you need anything or have any questions I'll try my best to answer for you all :)

Most importantly though, I'm all but demanding a proper forum meetup this time around! It's not like there's not enough notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

MarkMI6 wrote: »
    Most importantly though, I'm all but demanding a proper forum meetup this time around! It's not like there's not enough notice :D

Let me just let the record show that the one that was attempted to have been held last year did not fall apart because of me being too busy on the top floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Ah Eirtakon, I have pre-regged already :D.

Bit of an update:

- We have a confirmed guest of honour in none other than Liam O'Brien! More info here :)
    - The early bird pre-reg is selling out ridiculously fast, I'm not 100% if it will be open until the end of May so try get in on this now before it's too late :)
    - More guests, along with traders, panels, unique events and late night revelries are bubbling away n the pot, and will be announced over the coming months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Does any one know a decent and not to expensive hotel near the con location?Im from Greystones but still i cant imagine going there every day with full gear for photos, so i would prefer to stay as near as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Does anyone know how we pay the 25 Euro because I don't have a credit card.

What would happen if I sent the form and payed when I got my confirmation email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

karaokeman wrote: »

What would happen if I sent the form and payed when I got my confirmation email?

Set up a paypal account and link it to your own online banking one. Transfer the money to that and pay. Easy as. Although I wish that 20 would hurry the funk up and make paypal it's new home! For all of five minutes. ^_^

After going to and loving ArcadeCon I'd be stupid to miss this!

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Does any one know a decent and not to expensive hotel near the con location?Im from Greystones but still i cant imagine going there every day with full gear for photos, so i would prefer to stay as near as possible.

http://eirtakon.com/accomodation ;)

I'll need to ensure that that page gets updated soon, there's also the Travelodge in Ballymun that I don't think is listed.

karaokeman wrote: »

You can also pay by cheque or postal cheque if that helps: http://eirtakon.com/prereg :)

It will also be €25 on the door at the weekend, but the only way to guarantee a t-shirt is by pre-regging.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I've never been to a con before but I think I will check it out this year. I think I will just go for 1 day though, get the train up and back. I don't really have anybody to go with but thats grand I'm sure there is plenty to keep me occupied. The thing that I like the sound of most is the trading hall :D and manga library (I assume you can buy the manga too?)

Just a quick question, aside from the t-shirt, what benefits would there be for me pre-registering?

• Advertisement

As well as the t-shirt we also open the pre-reg line at least 15mins earlier every morning, so you'll (hopefully!) get in the venue that bit quicker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Will pre-reg soon! Have many memories of last year.

Think I might go this year. It'd be my first con.

Can anybody organising it or anybody in the loop tell me if there's be Guitar Hero and Rock Band at it this year? It's not mentioned on the site, but the site lists what tournaments are being organised so I didn't know if it might be there anyway.
    Konata wrote: »
    The Helix, a purpose-built event venue 10 minutes from the centre of Dublin.
    They're being a little bit optimistic there. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

There was Rock Band last year set up for the whole weekend, just for casual play like. Instuments were in pretty bad shape though but I'm sure MarkM16 will be able to find out if they have it this year.

Helix actually is that close to the centre! It's more 15mins on a bus to DCU but you could be lucky and be up in 10 :D

This'll be my third convention this year (and ever)! Seeing that they've the whole place booked out I'm ridiculously excited. ^_^

Can anybody organising it or anybody in the loop tell me if there's be Guitar Hero and Rock Band at it this year? It's not mentioned on the site, but the site lists what tournaments are being organised so I didn't know if it might be there anyway.

There's always something set up, usually for freeplay. The full schedule and full complement of game tournaments is not yet confirmed, there's still room for more to come in!
    Helix actually is that close to the centre! It's more 15mins on a bus to DCU but you could be lucky and be up in 10 :D

15? If even, minimum 25 from Westmoreland St. :P

Maybe 10 if you're going by car and driving at 6am!

TheChrisD wrote: »
    15? If even, minimum 25 from Westmoreland St. :P

Maybe 10 if you're going by car and driving at 6am!

I must be lucky with buses >_> I've got the 41 from Lwr. Abbey St and been at DCU in 15mins in the middle of the day.

Yep 10mins is entirely do-able, especially at 10am on a Sat/Sun morning! Rush hour is more like 20/25.

We'll be announcing all the gaming tournaments in the coming weeks, we have most of them confirmed but we need to double check and make sure so we're not passing around bum info :) Will be posting an update here next week but check the main site for all our recent announcements re guests, new events, competitions and more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

Wow i didn't even know there was an Anime convention in Ireland, brilliant!

billaustin wrote: »
    Wow i didn't even know there was an Anime convention in Ireland, brilliant!

There are currently four that I know of.

This.

Akumakon.

Nom-Con.

@rcadeCon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

@racadecon isn't an anime con

Demonique wrote: »
    @racadecon isn't an anime con

They had numerous anime related events and screenings though and as far as I recall, they advertised it as a "gaming and anime con". I was at it and it wasn't much different to Nom Con or Eirtakon in terms of events.

They had numerous anime related events and screenings though and as far as I recall, they advertised it as a "gaming and anime con". I was at it and it wasn't much different to Nom Con or Eirtakon in terms of events.

It's the same sort of deal with Brocon and Q-con as well. Just because they're not solely anime conventions shouldn't disqualify them from being counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

How much would a taxi from Heuston station set you back?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    How much would a taxi from Heuston station set you back?

The taxi regulator's fare calculator estimates between a tenner and €15.

Ok, here's a huuuuuge update!

- Firstly, if you didn't know already, cosplay arist/model Yaya Han is coming to Eirtakon! We really can't wait to show her Ireland's cosplay scene :)
    - Our guest artist this year is DestinyBlue, who will be giving two panels over the weekend (you can check em out in the link).
    - our Saturday Night Entertainment schedule is online and looks killer - Eirtafortunes (our version of Family Fortunes), followed by Cosplay Blind Date (no Cilla Black cosplays please), followed by Movie Monsters Night, and if you want to dance til your feet fall off we have Moshi Moshi in the Nu Bar from 8pm til whenever they kick us out :)
    - Our gaming schedule has been released and is by far the biggest we've ever had, we have tournaments coming out the walls at this stage.
    - The anime screening schedule is mostly complete and will be fully online with times in the coming days :) Over 50 hours of anime will be screened over the weekend, including a few exclusives.
    - There will be a photoshoot run by crack photographer Kieran Broderick on the Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and on Sunday afternoon he'll be giving a special workshop with a limited number of places available (sign up at our reg desk for it).
    - We'll be selling Eirtakon hats, mugs, hoodies, badges, maybe some other stuff.
    - Over 40 artists confirmed for the artists alley, it's going to be massive :D
    - We're running a t-shirt mods competition, you can read about it here.
    - Info on AMV, cosplay, modelling and art competitions are all available on the website.

I think that's it for now! We'll be putting up the full schedule, including all panels, workships and events, within the next 2 weeks. It's 95% complete and I've seen the Excel file, it's absolutely gigantic. It's kinda scary D:

MarkMI6 wrote: »
    we have tournaments coming out the walls at this stage.

There's a plan for next year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭SandraManson

I'm going this year! Cannnnnnnnn't wait to Cosplay as Saya from Blood+. :p

So how much "costume" would suffice for a cosplay. I bought a mudkip beanie at ArcadeCon (forgot the name of the talented lady that made it and also sewed its eyes on.......d'aw). I could wear that. :pac:

EDIT: Found it! Bubblecat!

http://bubblecat.deviantart.com/

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    So how much "costume" would suffice for a cosplay.

The answer to that really all depends on whether or not you mean cosplay in the sense of entering the cosplay competitions ;)

Advertisement