Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Ireland not an international team...

Options
  • 29-03-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

When you read the bbc.co.uk site.

Not sure about anyone else but as Ireland no longer play in the county leagues in the UK, why are they retained as a "County side" on the website.

Is a suggestion that there be an "associate nations" tab within the "International" tab useful? If so, all news about all associate teams can be posted in this section of the website.

Anyone else irked by this or am I alone? :o

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah it annoys me too, mostly because I always forget that's where we are and it takes me a while to find. They should just move us in with the rest of the international teams, especially since we don't even play county cricket anymore unlike Scotland.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They only list the test playing nations as "international"

It could equally be argued that Ireland and Scotland are getting special treatment here - no other non-county and non-test playing nation gets it's own section on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Beasty wrote: »

It could equally be argued that Ireland and Scotland are getting special treatment here - no other non-county and non-test playing nation gets it's own section on the website.

+1
    Yep, the Dutch, Kenya, Canada etc ect could all feel equally slighted.

I'd say that the BBC are obliged to provide seperate sections for Ireland and Scotland, since its the 'British' BC.

Plus Zimbabwe aren't a test playing team at the moment either and they get in there, I just don't see why we go into the county section when we have nothing to do with county cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

That's one of my points - there should be an associates entry under "International" and any teams playing county cricket could get a duplicate entry within the "counties" - then the entries would reflect reality.......

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why not write them a stern letter explaining your consternation ...

Seriously though, this is probably something they have let run based on how they dealt with it in the past. I suspect Ireland did not even get a mention before they started playing in the English one day competitions. If you feel as if they warrant a different treatment, drop them a line, explaining that Irish fans would appreciate such a change. Who knows, they may actually act on such a request. I suspect, however, that they would not simply do something off their own bat without any prompting;)

Seriously though, this is probably something they have let run based on how they dealt with it in the past. I suspect Ireland did not even get a mention before they started playing in the English one day competitions. If you feel as if they warrant a different treatment, drop them a line, explaining that Irish fans would appreciate such a change. Who knows, they may actually act on such a request. I suspect, however, that they would not simply do something off their own bat without any prompting;)

You know I'm sure they probably would if someone mentioned it actually, its a very simple change to make, I'm sure I could even do it myself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Done that already and no change! I even emailed them after the Ireland v England World Cup game so maybe they're just bad losers............................:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Maybe the BBC doesn't consider Ireland as an international team because Ireland is not a full member of the International Cricket Council and therefore doesn't play Test cricket.

Below the full, Test-playing members, the likes of England (and Wales), Australia, India, etc, there are two divsions of non-full members.

The higher division is the Associate Members, consisting of 35 nations, including Ireland. These are countries where cricket is firmly established and organised but do not qualify for Full Membership. They are awarded ODI status until the following ICC World Cup Qualifier, which will take place in 2013. They are also awarded Twenty20 status. Also, all Associates are eligible to play in the ICC World Cricket League. These members include Belgium, Cayman Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Kuwait and Nepal.

Below them are the 60 Affiliate Members. These are countries where the ICC recognises that cricket is played according to the Laws of Cricket. These include Austria, Bhutan, Isle of Man, Lesotho, South Korea and the USA.

None of the associate and affiliate members are qualified to play Test Cricket, however ICC grants One Day International status to its associate and affiliate members based on their success in the World Cricket League.

The top six teams will be awarded One day international and Twenty20 International status, which will allow the associate and affiliate teams to be eligible to play the full members and play official ODI cricket.
    The associate and affiliate teams who currently hold ODI and T20I status are listed below. Of these six teams (Afghanistan, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands and Scotland), Afghanistan is the only affiliate member; the remaining five teams are all associate members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_International_Cricket_Council_members#Associate_Members

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

look I know that last post is supposed to be helpful but the users of this forum are more than aware of the way the ICC works.

we dont need a lesson on it besides which the definition of the word international is clear

• Advertisement
Advertisement