Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Diggers Forum

Options
  • 29-03-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

This discussion page is currently being hosted on facebook but that is to test the waters really. If there is a big enough appettie for a discussion forum about Irish archaeology, esepcially the industry and working (or not) condiditons then we will look into establishing a blog or website.

Check out the discussion forum at the link below. Please share.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Diggers-Forum/146004525466513

Its early days so bear with it. But the more people who start talking the better.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

With 350 archaeologists left in the country I dont think the demand is there. This is a national archaeology forum and there is little interest anymore around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Carrickavoy

Well the crisis in employment is one of the issues the forum will be trying to address. Its very true that less then 400 archaeologists are presently employed in the sector but there are plenty of people unemployed or employed in other areas of the heritage industry who may find it worthwhile.

It would be great Riamfada if you could pass on the word even if you don't feel like you'll be getting involved personally. Thanks.

Would love to be involved. Send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I know it's convenient, but I tend to doubt the wisdom of using Facebook to start this kind of group. Particularly if you intend discussing conditions, pay and unemployment in the sector. People can't be honest when forced to use their named Facebook accounts - not with the risk of being black-listed.

If you look past the usual generic archaeology news ('interesting artefact/site found', 'new exhibition opened', etc.) you find an industry with nothing particularly good about it. Pay, conditions, employment levels, cronyism, profit-making - these are issues no-one with a bit of sense is going to comment on using their real name.

You mentioned starting a blog in the OP - that's a good idea and I'd recommend doing it immediately.

Perhaps a dedicated website? I can help put one together and stick a php forum on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

It could be a positive initiative. The existing forum doesn't attract huge involvement from site assistants. Think about collaboration with the IAI and UK bodies. I would suggest using the word ‘diggers’ is an affront to public image and professional standards. If you want credibility and recognition, use a term that gives respect to the high level of professionalism that exists amongst Irish archaeologists. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

Rather than just a forum, the Irish archaeological community would benefit from an equivilant of BAJR: somewhere to search for jobs - where employers could post vacancies to an interested online audience. BAJR is also invaluable for finding information on international volunteering, buy equiptment or advertise conferences, talks, courses, resources, festivals, community projects etc. Would be worth looking into for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

There's nothing to stop anyone using the BAJR forum to promote Irish Archaeology, and I agree that a 'diggers' forum is a bit limiting. There are moves afoot however, to organise a new Archaeology group complimentary to the IAI, who have always been seen as exclusive by the majority of those 'at the coalface', and prohibitive to those who are merely enthusiastic amateurs.

The new group/society/forum/whatever (to be decided) will be all-inclusive, much cheaper to be a part of, and hopefully, provide more regular news and information than is being circulated at present. As a former longstanding Board Member of IAI, frustrated at constantly banging my head off the brick wall that was the 'old guard', I feel confident I can help steer this new group into existence.

I have also been working in the background on a new archaeological publishing initiative, designed to finally deliver the results of excavations to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

Very interested to hear more about this, keep us posted!

Advertisement