Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Street Fighter IV 3DS

Options
  • 29-03-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure if I was going to pick this up, because I didn't think I'd want to own SFIV a third time (fourth if you guarantee me picking up AE).

But the 3DS's launch line-up ended up being so poor, that I thought it would be better than nothing.

To my surprise I'm enjoying it way more than I thought. Let me break this down into bullet form.

Pros:
    • Console perfect port
    • All characters
    • All vanity costumes excluding the most recent ones (so Zangief has Haggar pants and Mecha mode, but no hat)
    • All modes (except team battles, replays, and their associated channels)
    • Funky trophy collection mode like Smash Bros
    • Fight random strangers with a team of your trophies while console is in sleep mode
    • Optional 3D perspective
    • Optional "Lite" input modes
    • "Rematch, Change Character, Quit" Option in online ranked battle, just like offline console battle.
    • Play Super Street Fighter IV Anywhere!

Cons:
    • Backgrounds static 3D instead of animated 3D (unless Hippo mouth is already open, you will truly know if there is a bird in there).
    • New UI is strange and sucky. I find it hard to tell if I have Ultra or Super without looking at the touch screen.
    • No option to change language anymore
    • No option to change music anymore
    • 4 four buttons, 2 shoulder buttons and a touch screen is very difficult to play with without mapping shortcuts.

Single Pack Link:
    Ryu V Ryu only on training stage

Underlined and bolded the most important point from each, in my opinion.

Lite mode is interesting and fun since the shortcut function lets you try things literally not possible in SSFIV, but thankfully it's a separate online mode from "Pro".

There's only so much Guile with sonic boom and flash kick on separate single buttons I can take.

Anyone else played it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Anyone else played it yet?

Nope.
    What's the over the shoulder mode like?

Also, have some cheats.

Level 7 Rose - GKkkXXtbSe

Level 7 Cody - naMkEQgbQG

Level 7 Akuma - uQHkWgYbJC

Level 7 Akuma - RYSsPxSbTh

Level 7 Ryu - KjckTnSbwK

Level 7 Ken - NyosHgybuW

Level 7 Chun-Li - zAAkcHVbHk

Level 7 Chun-Li - tLWkWvrblz

Level 7 Zangief - hinsVnebTu

Level 7 Guile - qeJkznDbKE

Level 7 Ibuki - ilMsRBabpB

Level 7 Makoto - GHakWCTbsl

Level 7 Juri - OfQkARpbJR

Level 7 Vega - PqUswOobWG

Level 7 Sakura - uzTsXzIbKn (uppercase "i")

Level 7 M.Bison - CgIsQNWbHu (uppercase "i")

Level 7 Dan - rDRkkSIbqS (uppercase "i")

Level 7 Blanka code: DmdkeRvbxc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Level??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Thanks Sairus, saw those on Eventhubs already though.

Kiki: Level of the trophies, for your "sleep mode" party. Best I've gotten from the 'gumball machine' was a level 6 Chun Li, but apparently party ratios need to be even so I had to balance her out by also putting in a much weaker one as well.

Haven't seen how this mode works, as I don't know anyone else with the game.

Speaking of which, forgot an entry for the pro/con columns, couldn't figure out which it would go in anyway.
    • Single pack link mode included (two 3DSs, one game), but only for Ryu vs Ryu on training mode stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Aw man, they could have made it Ryu vs Ken for old time's sake. Golden missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You know what was a great fighter, and had more functionality than SF4:3DS?

Bleach: Dark Souls (DS 2nd)

IIRC you could have 4 players playing off the same cartridge, with any of the 44 characters.
    Also extremely good (P2P) wi-fi battling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭goodjay

hey guys got this game on day one.hardcore fan.love this version.find myself playn it more than the 360 at the moment.prob juz cause its new.the 3d is mad.kinda like a mini popup book efect.not to excited with the shoulder mode,tried it 4 a few min then went back to normal.amazn its got all the charters and most of the costumes that i hata pay for on xbxox.if you are use to arcade sticks dou get ready for some bad hand cramps.also online matches run super smothe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Couple of points to add onto prinnys post, mostly cons, but can't add anything onto his pros, as the game is pretty solid all round.

No japanese voices, only english :(
    No option to select character themes... although they are in the game in rival fights? (Y U NO OPTION CAPCOM)

Uberprinny: post your friend code and we'll play a few later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Xinkai wrote: »
    Couple of points to add onto prinnys post, mostly cons, but can't add anything onto his pros, as the game is pretty solid all round.

No option to select character themes... although they are in the game in rival fights? (Y U NO OPTION CAPCOM)

But but but, my character's horrible in english :(

Xinkai wrote: »

Can the character themes be selected in the console versions?were do i find my friend code?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

goodjay wrote: »
    Can the character themes be selected in the console versions?
    Yar, they can. Somewhere in the audio settings you can change it so it always plays player 2's music, or your opponent's if you're online.

• Advertisement

Added Xinkai's points to the Con list, can't really argue with removed content being a bad thing.

Regarding the single pack link thing, it's all relative really. We don't know what the capacity is for the 3DS's temp memory (where it houses the game data from the transmitting 3DS), and we also don't know at what speed that data could be feasibly transmitted wirelessly to another machine (has anyone ever sat watching SSFIVs progress bar during a disc installation?).

Fully rendered/textured models would have to be a lot bigger in filesize than the Bleach sprites Kiki mentioned, but I don't know if it's SO MUCH bigger that Capcom could only give us one char.

DS single pack link was always hit and miss, you got games like Mario Party and Bleach (apparently) who gave every guest 100% of the games content and were pretty excellent.

Halfway down the scale were the Mario Karts, Jump X Stars and the Meteos, who do a kind of "rule of 4", with only four playable tracks/levels regardless of how many are in the game.

Then at the bottom you have your Metroid Prime pinballs and your Zoo Keepers, with one and exactly one thing made available to you, and nothing else.

At the end of the day, ANY single pack link is better than none.
    A lot of the other 3DS launch titles didn't bother their arse with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Sairus wrote: »
    Yar, they can. Somewhere in the audio settings you can change it so it always plays player 2's music, or your opponent's if you're online.

You have to beat arcade mode first I think

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    You have to beat arcade mode first I think

iv def beatn arcade a few times,must have a nother look at the options screens.thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was playing this online tonight. Played about ten different people and nine of them played as Ken. Have to say it gets pretty tedious when that happens. The tenth person chose Akuma who seems to have more or less the same moves as Ken.

I wish the match making was better at pairing players of equal skill. I'm pretty rubbish and got destroyed in nearly every match. I'm still not sure whether or not to use the d-pad or the new analogue stick. I just can do some moves on the d-pad than I can't with the analogue stick and vice versa.

One thing I find annoying is the focus attacks. I seem to get hit with them constantly. My character is always just falling down after it. I've yet to figure out how they work.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Focus attacks are preformed by holding down medium punch (MP) and medium kick (MK) together.

The length of time you hold the 2 buttons together determines the level of focus attack.

Level 1 focus attacks just hit like a normal move. Performed by hitting MP and MK and letting go instantly.
    Level 1 focus attacks crumple you (I.E make your character fall to the ground if they) if they hit you during the start up of any of your moves (whats known as a counterhit). Level 1 focus attacks can be blocked.

Level 2 focus attacks crumple you on hit always. Performed by holding down MP and MK until your character flashes white once. Then release the buttons to perform. They can be blocked.

Level 3 focus attacks crumple you always and can not be blocked. Performed by holding down MP and MK until the move performs itself.

While holding down the MP and MK buttons to charge your level attack your character has armor properties. Meaning he can absorb 1 normal hit and still perform the moves. If he's hit twice in quick succession he is hit out of his focus attack. Certain moves break armor on the first hit (like Ryu's Hurricane Kick)

Azza's explanation is spot on.

If you want addition visual details, I found this topic especially helpful

http://shoryuken.com/f322/basic-video-tutorial-guide-total-beginners-ssf4-234560/

His bit on focus attacks specifically might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLKL_47bYU

Or you could try running the most ridiculously unfair set ever.

Pick Guile, and set LP Sonic Boom, Ex Sonic Boom, HK Flash Kick and Throw to your four face buttons.

Throw a LP Sonic Boom and walk after it:
    • If they block, throw another
    • If they throw fireballs back, throw another and sprinkle in Ex Sonic Booms
    • If they do anything else, Flash Kick
    • If you get bored, throw them (ground or air)

There is no quicker way to feel like a really horrible person.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't know what you're talking about, my conscience is clear :)

I don't know what you're talking about, my conscience is clear :)

While many have claimed to have found your famously honed zoning talents frustrating, there's a whole other level of ridiculousness to Walk Forward Sonic Boom, Combo'd into Walk Forward Flash Kick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

While many have claimed to have found your famously honed zoning talents frustrating, there's a whole other level of ridiculousness to Walk Forward Sonic Boom, Combo'd into Walk Forward Flash Kick.

Sorry yes I just assumed you said back instead of forward. :D

I've just seen a video of it... Guile must be invincible in that game.

anyone else still play this with 3d slider up?i set it to 2d on the secound day, never lookd back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I mix the both of them. No set times, makes no difference to me.

Advertisement