Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle insurance

Options
  • 29-03-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

http://www.odon.ie/Quick-Quote/Questions.asp

These are the current insurance broker for CI there may be others. I said in a previous thread I would let you when it was available so here it is.

bicycle insurance 16 votes

Yes I have it
    0% 0 votes
    No i dont have it
    6% 1 vote
    My bike is worth "f" all!
    93% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

Thank you, i've been looking for something like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Is it just me or has this taken a huge jump versus previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Did anyone ring for a quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    Did anyone ring for a quote?

With no prior claims, website gives premium values of:

Bike value <=1500: €150
    Bike value 2000: €160
    Bike value >2000: €160 + (value-2000) x 0.08

+ €50 for competition use

e.g. €5000 bike including competition use -> €450 premium p.a.

Ah thanks, I picked "club" and it asked me to ring. I can see the same details now when I select "individual".

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Ah thanks, I picked "club" and it asked me to ring. I can see the same details now when I select "individual".

If there's a Club of Raam, I want in.

Lumen wrote: »
    If there's a Club of Raam, I want in.

Shhhhhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Out of interest does Cycling Ireland only cover personal injury claims and not bikes? I smashed up my bike and body last week so interested. Their website is a bit low on detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

I'm in the same boat keenyb3, anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Sorry to hear that you lads had an accident. Arent the claim forms up on CI website? fill them in and get them to Geoff. PM me if you are cant find forms etc. the insurance from the licence is only PA.

Regarding the bike scheme it has jumped because the last scheme cost the insurer quite a bit in fatc they made a loss on it.

• Advertisement

After some maths on this one, it doesn't really make any sense for me to avail of it. Premium is too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

If anyones needs any help with quotes or questions than let me know and i'll pass your details to out sports department.

Cipher wrote: »
    If anyones needs any help with quotes or questions than let me know and i'll pass your details to out sports department.

As far as racing insurance goes, the fact is that you're quite unlikely to damage more than about 40% of your bike in a crash (unless you're unlucky enough to trash both frame and wheels in one go), and that combined with the high excess means that you really have to be quite sure you're going to crash before the premium makes sense.

Regarding the theft insurance, the problem with some household policies (mine for instance) is that they don't cover bicycles used for racing, even for theft from the home.

I personally feel that theft from the home is the biggest risk since you can lose your entire bike collection in one go, which could be financially ruinous. That's what I want insurance for. I can live with self-inflicted bike damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Lumen wrote: »
    I personally feel that theft from the home is the biggest risk since you can lose your entire bike collection in one go, which could be financially ruinous. That's what I want insurance for. I can live with self-inflicted bike damage.

Yep I agree but the problem is that the premium to insure 3 or 4 valueable bikes is horrendous! Personally I invested a substantial amount of money in making my garage as secure as possible with ground locks etc and I suppose I'll just have to take my chances after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

RPL1 wrote: »
    Yep I agree but the problem is that the premium to insure 3 or 4 valueable bikes is horrendous! Personally I invested a substantial amount of money in making my garage as secure as possible with ground locks etc and I suppose I'll just have to take my chances after that!

Yeah, that's where it's at! Imagine the 5k bike as listed above. For the €450 price above you would have a savage security system - that could not be robbed by the average common decent criminal:)

gman2k wrote: »
    Yeah, that's where it's at! Imagine the 5k bike as listed above. For the €450 price above you would have a savage security system - that could not be robbed by the average common decent criminal:)

Right, but the point of any non-mandatory insurance (excluding car insurance, for instance) is that you only buy it if you expect to need it.

I have enough domestic unrest with three bikes in the kitchen as it is, without proposing to bolt security anchors into the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Just wanted to fire this qustion out here... Do you have bicycle insurance? why/why not would be great to know!
    If you have to where did you get it? is it under some insurance you have say on a house or is it stand alone!

Advertisement