Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is CC Limit per month or total?

Options
  • 29-03-2011 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I just got a clear credit card a couple of weeks ago and it's my first CC. Just wondering if you might know. My credit card limit is 500 and I've paid off 60 euros. Is this 500 a monthly limit (meaning I can spend 500 a month) or a total limit, meaning current money available to me 60? Not really sure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I just got a clear credit card a couple of weeks ago and it's my first CC. Just wondering if you might know. My credit card limit is 500 and I've paid off 60 euros. Is this 500 a monthly limit (meaning I can spend 500 a month) or a total limit, meaning current money available to me 60? Not really sure

It's a total limit. If it were a monthly limit the country would be even more down the crapper than it is. So yeah €60 will be available to you (or whatever is left after interest has been added to your balance).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You're limit is up to €500 owed on the card at any one time. So if you have spent €300 you have a limit of €200 left. At the end of the month if you pay the €300 off then your limit is €500 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and also if you have spent nothing and paid 60 to it you effectivly have 560 limit now.

You can spend as much as you want on the card so long as you pay down the balance to less than the 500 limit. So if you spend 5,000 during the month and pay off 5,000 and never go above the 500 limit you're fine :)

and also if you have spent nothing and paid 60 to it you effectivly have 560 limit now.

You can spend as much as you want on the card so long as you pay down the balance to less than the 500 limit. So if you spend 5,000 during the month and pay off 5,000 and never go above the 500 limit you're fine :)

How can you spend 5K on a card with a 500 limit? Once you go beyond the 500 it would be declined. Or are you implying topping up the cc account by 5K and then spending it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SteoL wrote: »
    How can you spend 5K on a card with a 500 limit? Once you go beyond the 500 it would be declined. Or are you implying topping up the cc account by 5K and then spending it?

I meant that if you spread it out over the month.

For example (and not really realistic)

Day 1 spend 500
    Day 2 pay off 500
    Day 3 spend 500
    Day 4 pay off 500

etc (assuming everything clears instantly, which it doesn't, takes of couple of days)

can also preload it with the 5k too

• Advertisement

I meant that if you spread it out over the month.

For example (and not really realistic)

Day 1 spend 500
    Day 2 pay off 500
    Day 3 spend 500
    Day 4 pay off 500

etc (assuming everything clears instantly, which it doesn't, takes of couple of days)

can also preload it with the 5k too

Ah right, get ye.

Advertisement