Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

latest software OS 10.5

Options
  • 29-03-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I am trying to start up my new iphone4

I have downloaded the latest version of Itunes as per the instructions however it wont install as my OS is not the latest however when I go to do a software update I am told I am up to date.

I have version 10.4.11 but require 10.5

Any suggestions?

frAg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The iPhone 4 requires 10.5.8. Software Update will only give you incremental updates. Major updates (10.5, 10.6, etc) you have to buy. You need to upgrade to Leopard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

how much does that cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

10.6 costs €29, but requires an Intel Mac. You would need to check eBay or something like that for 10.5 because Apple don't sell it directly any more.

so am I right in thinking my iphone4 is useless untill I upgrade??

I have an old macbook pro2 (oct2007)

Unless you activate it with another computer, you won't be able to use the phone itself. You won't be able to sync it with the computer unless you use 10.5.8 or higher with iTunes 10.1 or later.

• Advertisement

oh I see.

Il use work laptop tomorrow then. I presume I should be able to use Itunes, wifi etc once i activate it from other laptop? What do I need software wise on the other laptop to make sure it works? Sorry about all the questions but first Iphone and I thought it would be easier than this!!

You'll still need 10.5.8 or higher on your own computer to use it there. All you need software wise is OS X 10.5.8 or higher or Windows XP SP 3 or higher, and iTunes 10.1 or higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Your Mac will support 10.6 though, so you can buy Snow Leopard if you want.

so if i use work laptop(toshiba) to get the phone up and going can I use my own macbook to upload songs, vids apps etc?

frag420 wrote: »
    so if i use work laptop(toshiba) to get the phone up and going
    Yes.
    can I use my own macbook to upload songs, vids apps etc?
    No. You will need to get 10.5.8+ first.

• Advertisement

ok I think I understand now...........so much hassle ha ha

Hope its worth it!!

Get Snow Leopard (10.6) for €29 as aidan suggested above. That will bring you fully up-to-date - at least until 10.7 arrives in a few months. :D

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC573Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

can ya lend me 29 euro eh?? ha ha

IL get the phone sorted in work tomorow as I need it for work. Everything else will have to wait I guess for now........

cheers guys

so I went and bought the upgrade today and the dvd drive wont accept the disk. it goes in, spins for a wee while and spits it back out!!

So frustrating!!

Has anyone any ideas?

frAg

Edit: just thought of something. Could I put the disc into my flatmates PC laptop and transfer the data to a usb flash disk and then upload it or am I clutching at straws here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

so I went and bought the upgrade today and the dvd drive wont accept the disk. it goes in, spins for a wee while and spits it back out!!

So frustrating!!

Has anyone any ideas?

frAg

Edit: just thought of something. Could I put the disc into my flatmates PC laptop and transfer the data to a usb flash disk and then upload it or am I clutching at straws here?

Do you have an external Hard drive or flash drive? If so you can create a bootable image on these devices to allow you install 10.6 from there and remove the I/O problems or dirty disk problems.

you have to create GUI partitions in disk utility and them create the image of the install DVD on this partition. The instructions are here

I did it yesterday - no problems. Be sure to follow the instructions - they are easy enough to follow.

cheers for that. I dont have external drive only 4gb flash drive. will have to check with flatmate as she may have one.

All sounds somewhat complicated but I shall give it a go

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

cheers for that. I dont have external drive only 4gb flash drive. will have to check with flatmate as she may have one.

All sounds somewhat complicated but I shall give it a go

cheers

http://www.memoryc.com/usb/flashdrives.html?Capacity=8GB&Interface_Type=USB2.0

12 bills will get you an 8gig flash stick in case your flatmate doesn't have one. They are in Ireland.

OK so managed to get it all sorted, software loaded etc and now my macbook is running slower than t was before!!

WTF!!

Webpages are taking forever to load so streaming is a pain in the ass!! It wont shut down as there is now an error with one of my programs (lastfm) which I have to force close when I want to shut down the laptop.

I should note I did not do it myself,i went to an Apple dealer in city who loaded it for me. If it could be fixed simply I would like to do it myself as dont have time ot get into town during the week to drop in macbook to shop.

Ironically my iphone loads pages in super time!!

Has anyone any suggestions and again thanks for all the previous help.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OK so managed to get it all sorted, software loaded etc and now my macbook is running slower than t was before!!

WTF!!

Webpages are taking forever to load so streaming is a pain in the ass!! It wont shut down as there is now an error with one of my programs (lastfm) which I have to force close when I want to shut down the laptop.

I should note I did not do it myself,i went to an Apple dealer in city who loaded it for me. If it could be fixed simply I would like to do it myself as dont have time ot get into town during the week to drop in macbook to shop.

Ironically my iphone loads pages in super time!!

Has anyone any suggestions and again thanks for all the previous help.

frAg

Upon installing your new OS, you should do these four things...
    1. Use Software Update to ensure your OS and other programmes are all absolutely up to date; this is especially vital if your copy was purchased in a shop.
    2. Go into Disc Utility and verify and repair permissions on your Macbook. This will ensure any misguided bits and bobs are all tidied up inside your Mac.
    3. Reset PRAM on your Macbook.
    4. Lastly, it sounds silly but power off your Macbook and power it back on afterwards; it may help you as well.

Upon installing your new OS, you should do these four things...
    1. Use Software Update to ensure your OS and other programmes are all absolutely up to date; this is especially vital if your copy was purchased in a shop.
    2. Go into Disc Utility and verify and repair permissions on your Macbook. This will ensure any misguided bits and bobs are all tidied up inside your Mac.
    3. Reset PRAM on your Macbook.
    4. Lastly, it sounds silly but power off your Macbook and power it back on afterwards; it may help you as well.
    2-4 are almost never necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Aye, that sort of voodoo is up there with repairing permissions!

Advertisement