Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law or Energy engineering?

Options
  • 29-03-2011 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi ... Im going into college next year and am just wondering which of these two courses would offer more career oppurtunities after the 3 or 4 years. I know they may be completely different but i have a huge interest in doing both courses. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ilovenerds

Hi! I'm in Process engineering myself and Energy engineering seems to be a mix of both electrical and civil modules. It definitely offers some great career opportunities and you won't be relegated to some wind farm off the coast of Sligo. A lot of the third year placements traditionally reserved for Elec Eng have been taken by Energy students.

I'm not really too familiar with the Law course in UCC so I can't offer any guidance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I am doing elec eng now and I can just say that the energy course seems to be fairly limited, as in it is just focused on energy (obviously), but the elec or civil courses would be more broad in what they could offer you after the four years. As has been said, energy is a mix of civil and elec, but I have heard the energy people say that they are not as good at the elec stuff as we are and not as good at the civil stuff as the civil people are. Plus, I believe that most of the module choices that they would have had for fourth year are not coming in now, so will have to share more of them with us instead. But, if you are interested in mechanics, which would include strutures, heat transfer theory, and fluid mechanics, general elec theory, nothing as in dept and we would go into, then energy is the course for you. Just from my side of things the course seems all the rage now beacuse it is new.

Can't say much for law though...

Advertisement