Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self employed or Employed??

Options
  • 29-03-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi guys, what is the definition of self employed? In the courier game for a while now, but have always been told I'm self employed. Ok, I supply my own van, and diesel etc., but don't have any control over where I go, what I do, even what I wear. I'm told when to start work, and when to finish. Maybe I just like been told what to do too much....... :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Hi guys, what is the definition of self employed? In the courier game for a while now, but have always been told I'm self employed. Ok, I supply my own van, and diesel etc., but don't have any control over where I go, what I do, even what I wear. I'm told when to start work, and when to finish. Maybe I just like been told what to do too much....... :confused:

You possibly are self-employed. But you may be in the same situation as if you are employed, by your client - but without the benefits you might have as an employee (but these days, there are really sfa benefits to being an employee over being an independent contractor).

There's a general rule of thumb for businesses to be more independent. You should have at least 3 different bread and butter customers - and apply the same rule to your suppliers. If you only have one client - they can tell you what to do, as much as they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

Thanks Krd. This is causing a bit of confusion to myself and my whitevanman buddies for a while now. We reckon that cos we do the same work as the employees in our place, then why not give us the the same treatment ie, holidays etc. ohhhh.... one of lifes sweet mysteries I suppose..... Ta.

Advertisement