Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Ireland Overdraft

Options
  • 29-03-2011 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

I had an overdraft with Halifax Ireland when they announced they would no longer be trading in Ireland, initially they made some phone calls and tried to get me to apply for a loan to pay off the overdraft (it's not even that big an overdraft) i wasn't willing to do that, i told them i wasn't in a position to pay it off in one go but would pay some up front and the rest in instalments, they asked me to send them in details by post to the address they gave me in Dundalk which i done last summer, i heard nothing for 2 months so i sent in another copy of the same letter which i sent in previously, still no response so i tried to call and i was told no one was available to call back the following week which i done only to be told the same so i thought "fu*k this ive done enough" and left it at that until today when i get a call from a number beginning with 091 claiming to be some company calling on behalf of Halifax with regard to my overdraft, has anyone else got a similar call?

I told the person exactly what the situation was and the fact that i am not in a position at present to pay anything to them, to be honest i don't think ill bother paying them at all i think they have a brass neck after all this time to go chasing up a relatively small enough debt,fair enough im liable for it but i did make several attempts to make payment which were ignored.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum there are so many forums here sometimes it's difficult to know which forum to post something in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I had an overdraft with Halifax Ireland when they announced they would no longer be trading in Ireland, initially they made some phone calls and tried to get me to apply for a loan to pay off the overdraft (it's not even that big an overdraft) i wasn't willing to do that, i told them i wasn't in a position to pay it off in one go but would pay some up front and the rest in instalments, they asked me to send them in details by post to the address they gave me in Dundalk which i done last summer, i heard nothing for 2 months so i sent in another copy of the same letter which i sent in previously, still no response so i tried to call and i was told no one was available to call back the following week which i done only to be told the same so i thought "fu*k this ive done enough" and left it at that until today when i get a call from a number beginning with 091 claiming to be some company calling on behalf of Halifax with regard to my overdraft, has anyone else got a similar call?

I told the person exactly what the situation was and the fact that i am not in a position at present to pay anything to them, to be honest i don't think ill bother paying them at all i think they have a brass neck after all this time to go chasing up a relatively small enough debt,fair enough im liable for it but i did make several attempts to make payment which were ignored.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum there are so many forums here sometimes it's difficult to know which forum to post something in.

A loan would have been more beneficial to you. A lower rate and extension on the term to be paid by if you wanted it. I dont understand why if you werent going to have the current account functionality anymore as they pulled out that you would not just get it transferred to a loan.

The fact is they have moved out of the country and the overdraft is due and the debt collection agency are entitled to act on this as an agent of the bank. I would advise to come to an arrangment to repay the money you owe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

chris85 wrote: »
    A loan would have been more beneficial to you. A lower rate and extension on the term to be paid by if you wanted it. I dont understand why if you werent going to have the current account functionality anymore as they pulled out that you would not just get it transferred to a loan.

The fact is they have moved out of the country and the overdraft is due and the debt collection agency are entitled to act on this as an agent of the bank. I would advise to come to an arrangment to repay the money you owe.

If it would've been an interest free loan i would have gone for it no problem but i don't see why i should have to take out a loan and pay interest just because Halifax announce just a short few months before they are moving out of Ireland and then start contacting customers to pay off their outstanding overdrafts,etc,ill have to consider whether i will pay them back anything, certainly not at present anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

If it would've been an interest free loan i would have gone for it no problem but i don't see why i should have to take out a loan and pay interest just because Halifax announce just a short few months before they are moving out of Ireland and then start contacting customers to pay off their outstanding overdrafts,etc,ill have to consider whether i will pay them back anything, certainly not at present anyway.

Johnny you'd be paying a lot more interest on an overdraft than a loan.

EDIT: Fact is even if they had stayed in Ireland a bank is legally entitled to call in an overdraft for no reason at any time if they want to. It's a harsh reality but is a reality nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

when you take an overdraft with ANY bank its always detailed in the terms and conditions that YOU sign, that you are liable to pay the overdraft off in full whenever the bank see fit to ask for the money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

alright cheers for the advice folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

alright cheers for the advice folks.

Try enter into arrangment to pay this. As said and noted in my earlier post you would have been better having the loan. better interest rate but that time has passed.

unfortunately you seem to be one of the many who considers an overdraft to be a perpetual requirement when its should only be required for short term credit. Its all its ever been for, hence its higher interest rate.

Advertisement