Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android newbie

Options
  • 29-03-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Ok I've come round to the idea of ditching my old reliable for an andriod. Problem is that I can't decide what to go for. The list includes
    - Desire, Desire S
    - Nexus S
    - Galaxy S ... and others. Anything but an iPhone

I'm looking for a touchscreen, half decent camera, little bit of wap, mostly wifi, on O2 prepay at the min. Most important would be a good battery.

I'm open to ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Good battery compared to what? What did you have previously? Some people go from legacy Nokia devices to smartphones and expect 3 days battery life out of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Stick to HTC if you want a good camera, both Galaxy S and Nexus S (nearly identical phones) lack a flash for the camera. You'll not get much more than a day with any smartphone with any usage, expect to charge whatever you get daily

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

draffodx wrote: »
    Good battery compared to what? What did you have previously? Some people go from legacy Nokia devices to smartphones and expect 3 days battery life out of them!
    Yeh I currently have a Nokia xpress music, and yes the battery usually lasts me about 2-3 days of texting, wap and the odd phone call.
    I'm not expecting miracles, I'll probably have to keep this phone for long w/ends when I won't be near a plug to charge it. I'm assuming it is possible to put this sim into the Htc or whatever and back ?

What other phones am I missing that would be around the same spec ?
    Someone mentioned the se xperia arc but I think thats gonna be major money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Stick to HTC if you want a good camera, both Galaxy S and Nexus S (nearly identical phones) lack a flash for the camera. You'll not get much more than a day with any smartphone with any usage, expect to charge whatever you get daily

I think Nexus S has a flash.

• Advertisement

Well the flash isn't going to be a deal breaker, compared to the useless camera on the current phone anything will be a major leap forward.
    I've heard the Nexus S isn't very clear when on a call ??? Anyone else hear this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I think Nexus S has a flash.

Correct, google confirmed it does

And on spec what android phones would ppl go for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have a HTC desire and I am quite happy with it. Based on whats available at the moment I would like to give Nexus S a try. Found HTC Desire HD a little big for me, although its a very good phone way better than HTC Desire spec wise.

And what else is out there round the same spec as the Nexus S and Desire S ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Having played around with a few android phones in the last couple of months, I find the desire hd the best of them.

I thought the galaxy was a little laggy but not a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cqms13

And what else is out there round the same spec as the Nexus S and Desire S ?

you can pick up a nexus one fairly cheap nowadays - great phone

Nah not reallt interested in the nexus one but thx.
    I'm kinda drawn between the desire s and nexus s.
    Anyone else think of anything that might appeal ? Or even give pro's or con's to help me decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

I have the Galaxy S and love it. Its a fantastic phone. Great screen, long battery life and just dead sexy phone.

I could have the wifi on all day and make a good few calls and text along with lots of emails (I have 7 email addresses on it) and other things.
    At the end of each day I have about 30-35% battery left.
    I constantly have it in my hand.

Advertisement